Friday, May 13, 2016

Kneeding to keep busy

Progress on my knee recovery is going well so far. I’ve pretty much abandoned my brace and both crutches. YAY! We have one crutch in the house and the other in the car. I keep forgetting where my House Crutch is. I think it is currently near the shower? We might be soon returning the $2.50 pair of walking sticks back to Goodwill for the next gimper to use because after 3 hobbly weeks, I think I’m done with ‘em!

As I’ve experienced with every other surgery, my days are a constant balance of activity and rest. Determining how much I need of each is worse than cooking without a recipe. My body’s needs change every day. Too much rest and my knee gets stiff and I lose flexibility and extension. Too much activity and my knee blows up like a water balloon. Ask me how I know.

(Hello, Wednesday. You were so much fun, what with greeting for the fancy tea event and then surprising a bunch of teenagers I love with the fabulous Rojo the Llama. But well, all your fun came at a price, Wednesday. Have you met Thursday? With all its ice and elevation and reduced exercises? At least Thursday also came with Bret, a very understanding and encouraging physical therapist who patted my shoulder instead of scowling at me for finally crossing the ever-moving line of doing too much.)

So yes, still lots of time on the couch. I’ve had a few moments of intense boredom but for the most part I’ve managed to keep myself amused. Among my distractions:

  • I have actually read two – TWO!! – books! As I have shamefully admitted before, I am not much of a reader. If I read three books in a year, I am doing well. So to read TWO BOOKS in three weeks is pretty astounding. Granted, they weren’t fine literature but they were quite entertaining, even after the heavy duty pain meds wore off.
Might I recommend Stuff White People Like and Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology (by Leah Remini)? I was stunned to discover I’m not nearly as white as my Ancestry.com DNA results pegging me at 30% Great British would suggest. Perhaps if I started listening to NPR and had brunch more often?  And I learned that a belief system conjured up by a science fiction writer looks a lot like…science fiction. And jeepers, Tom Cruise is sort of crazy.

    • I am completely caught up on “60 Days In” (wow, county jail looks rough), “Jane the Virgin” and “Dancing with the Stars.” I am still working my way through hoarded episodes of “Say Yes To the Dress” (NYC but I prefer the Atlanta version. That Monty is so snarky! As are southern women, surprisingly.)

    • I have done a little online shopping. We now have a new pistachio green Princess Trimline phone because it was only $10…and pistachio green. And some handy clothes clips for traveling because I’m feeling a little itchy to go somewhere beyond my area code. And a new swimsuit top because I have visions of power washing our patio in style this summer. And a pair of Pajama Jeans because, well, have you tried them?? They are so comfy and people actually think they are jeans! And I have this new t-shirt that I plan to wear to the gym as soon as I’m allowed to go back:

    • I have also been busy on the computer. I’ve organized some digital photos, I’ve learned how to convert YouTube videos to mp3 files, and I’ve uploaded and discarded a number of free apps for editing audio files and tracking medications and finding nearby post offices. Surprising no one, I have also created a spreadsheet to keep track of all my reps and sets of daily quad sets and band stretches and step-ups and leg lifts. It’s very handy. And I’m using a bright pink Sharpie to mark off my progress, which makes me happy and brings color to my exercisey life.

    Speaking of Sharpies. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?


    This was my collection before placing an order for 7 more pens. Not in new colors, mind you. In different tip sizes. Because I am very serious about this new coloring hobby, you see.

    Did you notice the little numbers on the pens? There near the bottom, written with a black Sharpie? Why might I do that? Are you afraid you know the answer?

    Yes, this.


    This right here embodies so much of what really gives me peace and joy: spreadsheets, charts, organization, order. Oh, right, and color. Pretty color. In order.

    I do fear I have a long way to go to truly get Into the Flow and just let my creativity run free range all over my adult coloring book. But finally knowing what pen equals what color is helping ease some unsettled stress (the pen caps are deceiving). I know it’s supposed to be an organic process, this coloring thing, but I like processed stuff. My Sharpie Pen Key brings me much refined Zen.

    OH!!! INSPIRATION!!!

    You know what I could do?? I could laminate my Sharpie Pen Key!! OOOOH!!! A SPARK OF CREATIVITY, Toni-style!!

    Now to get myself upstairs to my laminator.  Because you know I have one.

    2 comments:

    SharonShibas said...

    I hope you are feeling better. Great blog, and yes Tom Cruise is whacked! I just got finished watching several episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta" thanks to you. I am fascinated by your organizational skills with color-coded Sharpies! You just crack me up. Jim was impressed. I hope you have more restful days and less painful swelling ones. It's so hard to gauge. Gentle hugs!

    Toni at Woodhaven said...

    Thank you Sharon!! SYTTD is my night-time mind candy. Do watch the NYC one, too. It's the same concept but a different vibe.

    The swelling is slowly going down. It's been instructive, actually, to realize what motion and movement the swelling prevents. Even more motivation to try to stay on the right side of that ever-in-motion line of doing too much. :-)