Thursday, June 30, 2016

A good reminder that "either or" can sometimes be "and"

I’m about two and a half months into my six months recovery from my knee surgery. All is going great so far! I continue to earn atta-girls from my physical therapist and Rob for my dedication and hard work at doing all my exercises every day. My A+ Gold Star PT Student Status is safe!

A couple of days ago, I pulled some weeds suffocating a drain in our front lawn. It wasn’t until hours later that I realized I don’t know how I got down there. I don’t think I bent over at my waist because that would hurt my back. Did I squat? Because my knee doesn’t let me squat. Or does it? It’s still a mystery how I got those weeds pulled.

Until the mystery is solved, I think it still wise...exceedingly wise...for Rob to continue assuming the litter box cleaning duties. (Yikes, that was a close one.)

With the warmer weather, I’ve been walking around mostly normally with bare, mostly shaved legs. You can easily see my scar and yet, my doctor did such an awesome job at cutting and sewing, it really just looks like I bumped into a table or something. Even Rob told me yesterday he almost asked me what I had done to my knee when he absent-mindedly saw my reminder of the peril of stepping on sticks.


I’ve been rather religious about putting Vitamin E oil on my scar. Amen to the Q-tips! I learned that trick years ago from a very surgically savvy friend. It’s so effective, I’ve been told you can barely see my 14-year-old zipper scar on my back unless you look closely. I can’t see it at all, but that’s cuz I don’t twist much.

It was news to me, though, that scars shouldn’t see the sun for about a year or so. Well, not unless you want them to be rather prominent for the rest of your life. How did I not know this? Of course, all of my other surgical scars are in places that you have to know me very well…and offer wine and dinner…to see.

Confirming this sun moratorium rumor, I came across an article written by a dermatologist that suggested that although sunscreen would help, the best course of action to prevent new scars from darkening from sunlight is to simply cover them with Band-Aids.

So me being me, I decided if I am going to be sporting a Band-Aid on my knee all summer, I may as well have some fun. Off I went to Walgreens.

My choices were Hello Kitty, Star Wars, Minions, Frozen, and Mickey Mouse.

I debated and debated and debated. How to choose?

I finally narrowed it down to either the Minions or Mickey Mouse. I eventually concluded that it was (ever so slightly) more age-appropriate for a 48 year old woman to wear Mickey Mouse Band-Aids on her knee. Plus the black and white would coordinate with more of my outfits.

Later that night, I showed Rob my new Disney-themed Band-Aid box and explained the angst in the aisle that had plagued me. I fully expected him to commend me on my wise, mature choice. Instead I got:

“Why didn’t you get both?”

And in that instant I fell in love with him all over again.

No comments: