Monday, November 28, 2016

The swirl of life

It’s hard to believe that it was just three weeks ago that the world felt like it shifted off its axis. Don’t get me wrong; my Facebook feed is still frothing with political intensity on both sides. I’ve become so adept at scrolling past anything political, I actually made myself dizzy last week.

But in the midst of the protesting and calls for recounts and the confusion about who we are as a country, the universe has been making it very clear to me that day-to-day life still goes on.

I am a detail-oriented person. I like the nitty gritty of things. So I guess it is within character that my thoughts and spirit are pulled towards the more micro things in life: the people around me, my relationships, my community.

I am grateful there are people – many of my friends in fact – that are drawn towards the macro things. The policies, the philosophies, the patterns of history, and the desire to affect our global, cultural future. It gives me peace to know that those folks are handling the big stuff while I attend to the small.

And so in the wake of history, I have decided to leave the big world stuff to others while I tend the garden of my smaller world.

In just these past three weeks…

I found out a dear friend’s mother is taking her first steps down cancer’s path. And I have cried and prayed and felt utterly helpless as another dear friend's walk down that same path seems to be coming to an impetuous, unavoidable end.

I have rejoiced in the arrival of a friend’s beautiful grandbaby abounding with shiny black hair. And I have shared the heartbreak to learn he has meningitis.

I have been gobsmacked to learn of the disintegration of a marriage that I assumed was rock solid. And I have beamed with pure giggly girly joy watching a very eligible and patient woman realize she has finally found the man she’s been waiting for.

I have walked with a friend as she questions her faith. And I have listened awestruck to how a recent accident is reviving the faith of another.

I have been in the hospital waiting room anxiously waiting to see the surgeon smile and tell me Rob’s gallbladder removal was successful. And I have shared my physical therapy exercises spreadsheet with a friend whose rotator cuff surgery last week was a little more involved than expected.

I have lost sleep, I have cried, I have been mopey. And I have had tears of gratitude, literally skipped with delight, and wondered how in the world I ever got so lucky.

Life swirls, sometimes faster than we really think we can handle. Sometimes we are in the ripples, sometimes we are in the vortex. I’m so grateful that I always have people to hang onto…and that I can offer my hand as well.

Big world or small world, I think we’re supposed to swirl together.


No comments: