Wednesday, August 9, 2017

FAIR 2017 ~ Day 5

We woke up to foggy skies this morning, which I assumed meant cooler temps. Accordingly, I wore one of my thicker Fair t-shirts only to discover 10 minutes into the Fairgrounds that the humidity was awful by Pacific Northwest standards (60% according to a weather station near the Fair. Unless it's raining, we're miserable above about 30%).

On Day 1 I spied a t-shirt I knew I wanted to get before the Fair was over. It's made of thinner cotton so today was the day to add it to my t-shirt drawer after first taking it for a spin around the Fairgrounds for 10 hours.

This is the first time I’ve ever had a wardrobe change at the Fair. Talking with Princess Emily yesterday, she said the Fair Court had three outfit changes the day before. Because they are royalty.

Is all my Fair Court stalking causing me to start adopting their royal habits? Should I start practicing my wave? And autograph? And ability to be charming and delightful despite wearing sparkly synthetic fibers in 90 degree heat?

The crowds finally stated showing up this evening for the bull riding. YAY!! When we arrived in our favorite parking pasture at 12:30, there were a whopping 12 cars in the grass. When we left past closing tonight, we walked out with maybe 20 folks and FINALLY got stuck in a little bit of a traffic jam leaving the Fairgrounds. Given how light attendance has been so far, I was very pleased to see all the red tail lights ahead of us tonight.



Caution: sap ahead
We had some vague plans for the day but then enthusiastically switched gears when our friend Erika sent me a note this morning. She wondered if we might have some time to show her two kids – Derek (12) and Danika (10) – the fine art of Fairing. “They think the only thing to do at the Fair is the rides.”

As we applied SPF and tied our shoe laces, Rob and I discussed our planned tour of animals, food, and shows. We crafted how we could make the quilts and canning exhibits interesting to pre-teens (hint: it involved noting there were cash prizes and no age limit to enter).

We strategized how we would just happen to run into Xander, one of Derek’s buddies from our Youth Group, who would be at the Fair with his 4-H goat club. Bumping into friends is one of our favorite aspects of a good Fair day so we needed to orchestrate that experience for our Fair apprentices.

We thought we would end our afternoon in the new game exhibit where we would convince Derek and Danika to compete against each other in a game we’ve heard rumors about (more on that later when we actually see it tomorrow). We would then encourage them to enjoy the rest of the exhibit with their parents once Dad showed up after work.

So our once vague plans for the day were suddenly very intentional. We were eager to help the Wonder of Fairing unfold for our two pupils – all as far out of eyesight of the midway rides as possible.

So how did we do? Fair-ly well, I think.

We saw cows and goats and rabbits and chickens and llamas and alpacas and sheep. We petted lots of them and washed our hands in the fun Sudsy Barn handwashing station. We panned for gold and tried to lasso plastic bull heads. We bumped into Xander near the Goat show ring. We learned that Derek wants a bearded dragon for a pet as we spent too much time in the icky reptile exhibit.




We got Hawaiian Shaved Ice and other snacks and then wandered over to the Professor Smart Science show at the Kid’s Stage. We learned about fulcrums and gyroscopes and the eclipse. We laughed when Erika and her hair were chosen from the audience to demonstrate the hysterics of static electricity. We made fun sci-fi wooing noises by waving our fingers and hands around the Theremin.


We were volunteered as participants in a magic show and then stayed to see a silly juggler from Canada (are there any other types of jugglers from Canada?). Somewhere along here, Dad arrived and it was time to bring our Fair Edification to a close.


We had spent about three hours showing Derek and Danika our version of the Fair and didn’t even get through everything on our list. I took that as a very good sign that maybe the non-ride part of the Fair wasn’t so boring after all, perhaps there was actually quite a lot to see and do that didn’t involve nausea and a paper wrist band.

We later bumped into Derek and Danika and their parents after they had gone on some rides (Erika didn't want to deprive them of the rides; she just wanted to expand their Fairing options. She's a great mom, that Erika.). Rob and I had just bought an elephant ear and offered to let the kids try it.

Then a Fair moment that I already know I will cherish unfolded.

As we stood with an elephant ear by the glow of the carnival lights, laughing and eating and taking pictures, more friends…mutual friends…appeared. Different ones of different ages from different directions. Rob held the cinnamony elephant ear as we all tore off little bits while discussing our day and our Fair. There was something so joyful and communal and pure about the moment. It was the sweetness of life and friends and laughter. It was the very very best of Fairing well.


You should have seen us when the bull got loose
Tonight’s featured entertainment in the Grandstands was bull riding. Not featured but nonetheless entertaining were four rather expressive spectators.

Rob and I got to the Grandstand early enough to get our favorite seats in our favorite section with our favorite back rests.

Yes, we are creatures of many Fair habits.

Most of our friends know where we like to sit, so it wasn’t long before our neighbor Karin and her daughters (ages 10 and 14) spontaneously joined us on our metal bench. It ended up being quite amusing watching bull riding with these ladies because I watch bull riding a lot like I watch fireworks: noisily and with gusto.

Whether bulls or booms, I can’t keep myself from reacting with shock, surprise, and lively concern. If Rob is nearby, I end up grabbing his arm or leg for reassurance in a vague imitation of a flailing Kermit the Frog. If Rob is not nearby, it is awkward for all involved.

Much to my relief and delight, Karin and her girls have similar reactions as I do to thrown cowboys and angry bulls. When we weren’t seat boogying to the music between riders, the four of us were gasping and oh-no-ing and grabbing our heads and faces with our hands and reaching for nearby arms to clutch. We looked like we were doing a panicked version of the Macarena, I sure to the amusement of those around us. Except maybe Rob. His poor arm.

Oh, and yes, towards the end of the show, a mean and mad bull got loose from the ring. He charged through some metal gates and into a horse who is gratefully ok despite nearly being gored. The bull ran around some trucks as cowboys sprinted to close gates so the bull couldn’t get out into the parking lot. The cowboy who eventually lassoed the bull and got him into a pen got the biggest applause of the night. Rob’s arm and thigh are healing nicely.


STATS

Number of miles walked: 2.9 miles or 6,990 steps. Considering we sat on our sore butts for four shows, that’s pretty good mileage.

Re-entry stamp animal: Once again we left too late to find out. A bleary-eyed employee standing stampless at the Green Gate wasn’t very helpful.

Number of friends we saw: 21, none of which were Dave or Linda. I think they’ve ditched us.

Best non-food Fair Food invention: This cup holder thingy for my shave ice cup. With the heat, it proved its usefulness within 2 minutes when a chunk of icy Huckleberry fell off the dome. Previously it would have been lost to the pavement, perhaps decorating my sock along the way. Instead, with this inspired use of green plastic, the treat and my laundry were saved. Not to mention my hands were not sticky when I was done. Brilliant!!

As an added bonus, it could also be used to salt reaaaallly
big margarita glasses or as a hat.  Most likely consecutively.



FAIR FOOD FEAST PARADE

In all honesty, it was sort of a disappointing food day. Most of the snacks were great but my two main meals were disappointing. Boo.  Tomorrow will be better.

John is feeding me again!  This time a cookie made from
Chinese noodles and butterscotch and chocolate.
What a tasty way to start the day!!
Thank you, John!  You feed me well.

Old school potato chips that I never allow myself to eat.
Hence the sneaky "I hope nobody is watching" expression.
Old habits die hard.

I ordered chocolate milk because I remembered it
tasted like dessert last year.  Welll....brands matter I guess
because this Sunshine stuff from the Church Ladies Pie
Booth was boring and watery.  I will be hunting down the Darigold
chocolate milk so I can have the proper dairy indulgence.

I ordered a pastrami sandwich from the Church Ladies Pie booth.
It's always a favorite and a treat since it comes with the potato
chips and a pickle spear.  I love pickle spears.  Welll...I didn't
realize until it was too late that they gave me a boring
ham and cheese sandwich instead.  Ham and cheese?  I eat
ham and cheese in real life.  Pastrami is FAIR.  I was
very disappointed but ate it anyway.  And the pickle spear
was floppy.  All in all, sad meal from the Church Ladies.

Finally got brave and tried the Birthday Cake Hawaiian
Shave Ice.  Ewwww.  It tasted like that frosting that comes in a
tube.  The accompanying Huckleberry fortunately made this salvageable.

A reliable chocolate dipped frozen banana. Mmmm.
Danika quite enjoyed her Cherry-Watermelon Hawaiian
Shave Ice.

Needed something salty.  This white cheddar popcorn hit the spot.
I ate about half of the bag.  I will be snacking on it more tomorrow.

I'm creating my own blends at the Smashers booth.  This one
was NW Berry and Pineapple.  VERY tasty with a little
added zing.  I like zing.  Thanks, Stan!

Not feeling the rice bowl from the other yakisoba booth I
should have remembered I avoid.  The Sriracha sauce helped
a little but all in all this was disappointing.  It didn't look
appetizing with the overcooked pineapple bits and the
smell of the teriyaki sauce sort of made my stomach turn.
Tomorrow will be better, tomorrow will be better.

MY FAVORITE FAIR PHOTO EVER!!!!
Sharing an elephant ear with Rob and Queen Maddie.
This made up for all the mediocre food the rest of the day.
FAIR!  FAIR!!  FAIR!!!

No comments: