Friday, August 11, 2017

FAIR 2017 ~ Day 8

Last year, because of my rehabbing knee and desire to take better care of myself, Rob and I only went to the Fair eight of the ten days. Those two days allowed a reset of sorts so that I could fully enjoy my most favorite time of the year. And boy did I!

I was thinking we might do the same this year, skip two undetermined days. I even pre-bought only eight sets of discounted tickets in an effort to force my frugal self to take a couple breathers.

As we were driving home last night, I was tired but happy. I told Rob that assuming I got to bed by my currently normal and ridiculous time of 3:00am, I would be ready to Fair again today. So far no days had been skipped with only three left. Go me and my super star knee!!

I crawled into bed this morning at 2:24am. I woke up at 8:15am. I took an unexpected nap at about 10am. At about 12:30pm, I took a deep breath, assessed my current exhaustion and raspy throat from the still-smoky air, considered our early starts the next two days, and reviewed my calendar of post-Fair activities I want to be conscious enough to enjoy. I reluctantly made the call.

“I think we need to stay home today.”

I posted an announcement on my Facebook page since I have been littering all my friends’ newsfeeds with blog updates, photos, and Instagram posts all week. I knew there would be confusion – or perhaps relief – if I went dark one day without explanation.

Among the reactions were five “WOW” emojis from stunned friends and one “LOVE” emoji from a childhood friend who annually expresses her concern about my approach to All Fair All the Time. We are the same age but in some ways she’s clearly more of a grown-up than I am.

I also got comments such as “the sky is falling, the sky is falling!” and “Everything OK?” and “whaaaat?” My dear cousin who lives in Montana even posted a photo of himself eating a delectable looking “Huckleberry Lemondairy” to keep the Fair Food Feasting going in my absence. He is such a sweetie!

Oh to have been able to join you, Tucker!
That looks and sounds amazing!

I’ve popped back into Facebook Land throughout the day, in between lunch, laundry, and yet another nap. I’ve enjoyed posts from a few friends who are Fairing today.

But I must admit, I had a hard time seeing the Fair go on without me. While I know I did the right/mature/boring thing to stay home today, a big part of me hates that I’m missing out on llama fun and milkshakes and 4-H pig shows and a midway FINALLY filled as it should be of happy fairgoers.

Never fear, I will be back tomorrow! And Sunday! Even if I have to pay full price to get in.


STATS

Number of miles walked: 0.2 mile or 431 steps…only because the laundry room is on the other side of the house.

Re-entry stamp animal: Because my husband totally gets me, he asked for my left arm before we left Woodhaven for lunch. He then flipped it over, uncapped a Sharpie, and drew what he intended to be a cat on the inside of my wrist. The fact that it looks more like a cyclops turtle is not the point.

Perhaps an Ultra Fine Sharpie would have
produced a more cat-like result?  It's adorable
either way...and likely to last longer than
last night's squirrel.


Number of friends we saw: 2 black fuzzy fur kids who seemed relieved to finally have their favorite laps back.

Best freebie of the day: A t-shirt from Burgerville (tasty Pacific Northwest burger chain) advertising the seasonal favorite: Walla Walla onion rings. All the employees were wearing the shirts. After we placed our lunch order at the counter, I asked Tisha if they were for sale. “No, but I can give you one for free.” It’s amazing what can happen if you just ask.




FAIR FOOD FEAST PARADE
Two basic meals without any snacks. I would have had some snacks if there were any in the house...and I had been awake.

Burgerville for lunch!  Salad with balsamic vinaigrette,
marionberry lemonade, and two of Rob's
five Walla Walla onion rings.  Mmm and mmm!

Dinner:  Frozen deep dish sausage pizza
from Chicago (bought in bulk, they are less than
$20 per pie and totally worth it), some limey
bubble water, and my favorite bartender.




No comments: