Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Across the silver finish line

According to my calendar, one year ago today I made a momentous decision. Well, at least a weirdly life-changing one. Yes, one year ago I did this for the very last time:

I threw out my Hair Coloring robe about a half hour later.

I wasn’t sure how long it would take for the layers of Garnier Truffle #50 to fade away, grow out, and get cut off. But I knew I wanted to be naturally me before my 50th birthday and wanted to give myself plenty of time to get there.

Now, with almost exactly two months to go before I hit the Big Five Oh, I have met my goal with lots of time to spare (goal-oriented much?). It actually only took about 4 months to ditch the fake hair color. Three cheers for hair that grows fast and having no fear in wearing it super short!

Given my silver streak speed, the past 8 months have been spent adjusting to the new reflection in the mirror. It’s honestly been a lot easier than I anticipated.

These days, when I look at photos of myself from the last 5 years or so, all I see is a Darth Vader helmet of hair. Despite what my friend's 80-year-old mother continues to insist (she's my last remaining veeerrry vocal critic), my boxed color was too dark and too much of a contrast with my middle-aged complexion. I had no idea! I also look like I am trying too hard in those Truffled pictures; there’s a little bit of a discomfort or edge or fear (of roots showing or of being found out…either one).

Taken one year ago today as my official "Before" photo.
Golly, I look rather panicked don't I?

Much to my relief, I quite like the new multi-toned silver hat I’m wearing now. I like the mix of bright white to dark brown (in the back) swirling around in a chaotic yet coordinated blend. It looks much more interesting than anything all those chemicals ever produced. And as a result, I think I look generally more relaxed even despite the insane life stress of the past several months.

Today, one year later. 
New hair, new glasses, new lipstick, better lighting.

Despite being happy with the color, I have struggled a bit. I’m still trying to figure out the style. Although I surprisingly really enjoyed the super short pixie (boy hair is ridiculously easy to manage), I tried to grow out my hair. Both Rob and I had hopeful anticipation of the long waves of my grade school years.

4th grade mass-o-hair

I lasted 7 months. Turns out I just can’t handle long hair anymore. Sorry, Rob.

My growing locks were driving me nuts when I vainly had to worry about my hairstyle in the wind. And my hair was so floppy and heavy, I felt like a sheepdog was sleeping on my head. When the waves started doing rip curls, I knew I was done. Chop chop.

I’m still not “there” yet with my eventual style but I think I’m getting close. Maybe in time for my half-century birthday.

I have been disappointed not to be offered more senior discounts. It was looking very promising there in the beginning, with two discounts in two months. Yay Walgreens and Fred Meyer!! But that has been it. Boo! I haven’t been bold enough to ask for any discounts yet. Somehow, I keep thinking I need to wait until I’m at least in the right decade. Two more months, two more months.

I have noticed that I am more noticeable now. It’s a little disconcerting since I prefer to sort of blend into the scenery. Instead, now with my shiny silver head, people with their own silver keep smiling at me, saying hi, striking up conversations in grocery stores and airports and such. Apparently I’m safe? Or maybe they figure I’m old enough to remember when strangers used to talk nicely to each other. Either way, I have to say that seniors are quite friendly and welcoming. I’m digging being in their club.

I have also noticed men in their 30s seem to stare at me. Not with any romantic interest, just with curiosity. I have no idea why, other than perhaps they are trying to figure out how old I am.

In my Truffle days, people typically assumed I was in my late 30s (bless them). Now with my white hair, I’m thinking maybe my hair and my face don’t compute?

Interestingly, in every hospital I visited this year (and truly, that is not a statistic I really want to repeat), nurses spontaneously start talking to me about my skin. One even asked about what products I use. People never mentioned my skin when I had Truffle hair. I’m guessing my face does not look like it should have white hair all around it. Which is actually super fun. I love making people wonder.

Overall, hair-wise, the past year has been more enjoyable, more enlightening, and easier than I anticipated. Honestly, I sort of wish it had taken longer to completely transition to silver. It was unexpectedly exciting to see the natural roots grow in and push the fake color out. I actually quite liked the anticipation of not knowing where my color was going to end up.

I have no regrets about making this frivolously momentous change, other than waiting as long as I did to do it. It would have been fun to see the transition reveal itself naturally…or at least from about age 44 or 45. But I wasn’t ready then. Now, though, I am absolutely ready to embrace my 50s as naturally and as authentically as I can muster, my silver head held high with anticipation and no fear.


No comments: