Thursday, July 19, 2018

Dedicated to small dreams

I realized recently that most of the new music I listen to these days is what would be called “Contemporary Christian” music. It is not complex, intricate music. It does not have a lot of guitar solos or synthesizers or vocals with impossibly high notes. In all honesty, it’s pretty plain and rather commercial and very approachable for the average pew warmer to sing along on Sunday morning. Which I suspect is the point.

So why do I listen to such banal music? The words.

I could tell the story of the trials of my life over the last decade through songs on my “Church” playlist. Somehow, just the right song enters my life at just the right moment and speaks truth and fuels hope.

A song about letting go when I was struggling to trust the whole God thing.

A song about simply holding my candle when I was at a loss how to respond to a loved one who had disappointed me beyond words.

A song about remembering that hope was right in front of me when I was dizzy with anxiety and confusion and bouncing hormones after a hysterectomy.

A song reminding me to seek God’s will when I was perplexed what my role was when my parents were disagreeing about where to live.

It’s all about the words.

A few weeks ago, a new song started getting some airplay. It resonated immediately. It beautifully captures in toe-tapping pop how I have approached the world and my place in it the last couple of years.

With so much turmoil and angst and hurt and opinions and demands and outrage and offense in our society at the moment, I have found myself withdrawing from the big picture to instead focus on the small. Call it a survival technique.

I’ve written here before about sensing I can have more impact on my micro world than the macro world beyond my sphere. I’ve talked about the positive impact of doing a small thing… a little “x”…which unknowingly is a huge thing…a big “X”…to someone else. I’ve shared my determined search for ways to sprinkle a little encouragement around my world. All little things that have the potential of huge effect, whether we are there to see it or not.

So when “Dream Small” by Josh Wilson blared from my car’s speakers a few weeks ago, I truly felt like I had found my anthem.

You can listen and read the lyrics for yourself; the song is quite catchy. And it is infused with God stuff, like the quintessential Christian pop song that it is. But what I especially appreciate about the song is that it is still entirely relevant even if you take God out of it.

A More Secular Version:
It's a momma singing songs.
It's a daddy spending family time that the world said he cannot afford.
These simple moments change the world.
It's a pastor at a tiny little church, 40 years of loving on the broken and the hurt.
These simple moments change the world
Dream small.
Don't buy the lie you've gotta do it all.
One day at a time.
Live well.
Loving others as yourself.
Find little ways where only you can help.
It's visiting the widow down the street.
Or dancing on a Friday with your friend with special needs.
These simple moments change the world.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with bigger dreams.
Just don't miss the minutes on your way to bigger things,
'Cause these simple moments change the world,
Keep loving. Keep serving.
Keep listening. Keep learning.
Keep hoping.
Keep seeking. Keep searching.
Add up the small things and watch them grow bigger.
So dream small.

Admittedly, Josh’s examples of small dreams are a bit contrived. But I am here to tell you they are not trivial. I have benefitted hugely from the small dreams of all sorts of people in my life.

The friends who sent cards when my grandma died.

The friend who texted goofy emojis during a difficult situation.

The stranger who complimented my silver hair on a bad day.

The cashier who looked me in the eye and sincerely wished me a wonderful day.

The customer service agent who apologized immediately for his company’s mistake and took personal responsibility to fix it.

The neighbor kids who made me a cat out of cardboard tubes and construction paper when we had to put our cat down 10 years ago (a little “x” I will remember and appreciate the rest of my life).

The husband who drags hoses all around the yard so I can power wash stuff without hurting my back.

The neighbor who picks up trash along our street.

The teenagers that spent a summer afternoon inside helping me do a photo album project.

The cousin who leans in and gives me her full attention whenever I’m talking to her.

The acupuncturist who gives me a long hug after each appointment.

The doctor who says, “I have time.”

It really doesn’t take a lot to have small dreams. All that's needed is intent, a seeking eye, and some courage to step outside ourselves. I truly do believe that a flood of small dreams can indeed change the world. And lordy, we could use a little of that.

So dream small.







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing my heart so beautifully. Love you my friend.

Toni at Woodhaven said...

What a beautiful thing to say. Thank you so much, Sandi. <3