Thursday, January 10, 2019

Pepe to the rescue!

Longtime Woodhaven Ramblings readers might recall past references to livestock living near Woodhaven. I have a tendency to name/bond with animals I see grazing in fields I routinely drive by. It's a thing/hobby/personality quirk.

RastaLlama was a favorite. The poor dear had dreads that would have made Bob Marley envious. While entertaining to look at, my more educated llama self now understands that matted llama fiber is sort of crawny, mon.

Licking Cow lived just down the hill from us. She was a sweet whitish bovine that always seemed to be licking something when we drove by – a fence post, cow friends, herself. I was udderly confused when I later learned her “real” name was Baby. Maybe she spent lots of time in the corner?

And then there was The Camel, uncreatively named because I didn’t realize at the time that camels are not entirely unique pasture pets around here. It didn’t occur to me that The Camel would not definitively identify the camelid in question. And no, local readers, it wasn’t Curly.

Sadly, all these animals are long gone. Drives around Woodhaven have been lonely for a long spell.

Pepe to the rescue!!

We first noticed Pepe in October. The black and white spotted pig was snouting around in Licking Cow’s old pasture, daring me to stop in the middle of the road to gaze at him with awe and delight. Dare accepted!

I’ve seen pigs in pastures around Woodhaven before; they disturbingly never seem to last through major eatin’ holidays. I remember one that I admit made me salivate like Wile E Coyote. I often envisioned myself with a napkin tied around my neck and my utensils at the ready while I was waiting at the stop sign next to the plump ham’s field. Looking back, I should have named him Easter.

But Pepe is something different. Pepe looks much more adorable than delicious. Adding to the dawwww is that he always seems to be hanging out with a small heard of precious pygmy goats that should really be wearing tiny sweaters. I just giggle and squeal every time I see them! Which sadly isn’t very often. Pepe is somewhat elusive. Or smart enough to stay in the barn when it’s raining.


I was quite concerned that I might not see Pepe after Thanksgiving. While Thanksgiving Ham would be a bit unconventional, who am I and my Thanksgiving Tacos to pass tradition judgement? My response to Rob’s “Pepe sighting!” text on November 26 involved a lot of exclamation points and hearty emojis. PHEW!

My reaction when we saw Pepe intently grazing in his field on the safely-past-Christmas January 3 was even more emotive.

I was having a hard morning. People drama, a cat who seems to have intermittent amnesia about the purpose for his litter box, a newly discovered roof leak, and mediocre preparations for arriving houseguests. It was a day. And it wasn’t even noon yet.

As we left Woodhaven for an appointment, I squeed like the first day of Fair when I saw Pepe and his goat buddies mowing the pasture. Checking the rearview mirror, Rob stopped the car as I rolled down the passenger window.

“PEPE!! HELLO, PEPE!!! PEPEEEEEEEE!!!”

Dang if that darling pig didn’t stop eating and look right at me! He’s got the CUTEST little pink nose!!

I gushed greetings to Pepe. I told him how happy and relieved I was to see him. I enthusiastically acknowledged the goats and the nearby cows…all of whom paused to look at me with some interest if not confusion. I’m guessing they were unaware of their fanbase.

And honest to God, through all of this, I had tears in my eyes. It was sort of like those penguins in South America all over again. I was so full of joy at my very core, just from seeing that pig. All the frustration of the morning, the tears of weariness that had been surging just below the surface, they all did a 180 and released themselves in a rush of swine-fueled gratitude and delight. My day and mood were instantly a whole bunch brighter.

Pepe to the rescue…again.


So why the name Pepe?  I was excitedly telling
a friend - who tried his best to look interested - that
we have a new proximate pig near Woodhaven.
I thought "proximate pig" was sort of a fun name
but then thought it was too long.  So perhaps
shorten it to P.P.  But that's not a good name...
for anybody. So then I thought if PP were
pronounced a little differently, like peh-pay,
it would be a glorious name suitable for a
glorious pig.  Hence Pepe.


No comments: