Thursday, June 1, 2023

Daaaays At Sea

I’m lounging outside the Wheelhouse Bar on Deck 7, trying hard not to make it obvious that I’m eavesdropping on the conversation across from me (eavesdropping is one of my most favorite pastimes). Two elder Englishwomen are commenting on the world as their hands and fingers twist and dance across yarn and metal needles.

Their accents are delightful and make their spoken observations sound so much more sophisticated and stately. For the curious, they LOVE seeing couples walk hand-in-hand and gambling on a cruise ship really isn’t all that different than gambling at home.

The woman on the right is making a sweater for
herself. She aims to have it done by the end of the
cruise. Her friend noted to a passerby that the woman
is a very fast knitter. Goodness!

So yes, Rob and I are on a cruise, this one particularly noteworthy for its extended time At Sea. Indeed, we will have a total of 10 At Sea days by the time we conclude our foray across the Atlantic, fortunately not consecutively.  As we are about halfway through our journey across The Pond, I thought it timely to jot down some thoughts.

This transatlantic crossing is something Rob has wanted to do for a number of years, to help earn “we’ve cruised around the world [in several chunks over many several years]” bragging rights. Our next port stop (after some more time At Sea) has been on my Bucket List for at least 15 years. So stay tuned for glee!

Unsure how I might react to bobbing around the ocean for days on end, I packed all sorts of things to keep myself entertained. Books, including one comparing Jesus to superheroes, another digging the mind-blowing depths of Tom Cruise’s favorite “religion,” and another exploring the enneagram personality construct. A gallon-sized bag of Sharpies and its companion “Schoolhouse Rock” coloring book (my husband knows me SO WELL!) also came along. I ensured access to over a month’s worth of unread digital newspapers (news these days is much more palatable when it’s old). And a 34" latch hook Christmas tree skirt kit that required both negotiation and compromise to lug also victoriously made the trek.

So far, I have read two books, am concerningly current on my newspapers, have hooked about an inch of the skirt, and all reminiscent scenes of Schoolhouse Rock remain in black and white. Gotta leave something for tomorrow! And the next day. And the next…

I am loving the warmth of The
Conservatory! It can get a little noisy
with kids but is otherwise quite relaxing.

Rob and I also played a 20-minute game of “Find the Medallion” in our stateroom. A Medallion is a quarter-sized piece of electronica developed by Princess that each passenger wears as a tracker. In return for being Big Brothered, my Medallion serves as my room key, allows me to pay for stuff on ship, helps Rob find me when I wander off, and allows me to use a corresponding app on my phone to order snacks and cocktails from the convenience of my squishy deck chair or comfy lounge couch and have it delivered to me. It’s quite lovely! And rather essential. So when Rob couldn’t find his Medallion a couple Sea Days ago, we got a little panicked.

Using the app’s Shipmate Finder, I went down the portside hallway of the Dolphin Deck and checked to see where my phone said Rob was. Yep, he (or at least his Medallion) was in our cabin. In fact, it pinpointed to the second half our cabin, so we knew not to waste time searching the bathroom, closet, or laundry bag. Which we naturally did. Because we could not find the darned thing anywhere! We checked pockets, moved furniture, unmade the bed, opened drawers, crawled around on the floor. It was both maddening and reassuring to know that the Medallion was most assuredly in our cabin, nowhere to be found. Until, after I decided to lay on the floor to get the Medallion’s perspective, it magically came into view next to a suitcase under the bed.

Rob has since acquired a lanyard clip that will prevent his Medallion from rolling to freedom ever again.

Not a staged photo. In fact, Rob has
no idea I paused in the frantic search
long enough to capture a photo for
blogging purposes. 

I’ve enjoyed finding quiet places to read or write. As much as I enjoy introverting, I also enjoy doing it amongst people. From a distance, inconspicuously, within earshot of fun conversations and passing snippets of commentary. Favorite spots so far have been corners near the inside pool, couches in alcoves near bars, and the Buffet during non-feeding hours (few and far between on a cruise ship).

I’ve been working my way through the drinks menu that came with our promotional beverages package. I’ve discovered I LOVE Lemon Drops and don’t so much care for Cosmopolitans. The Mango Margarita was quite lovely, as were the Zero Mojito and Strawberries on Fire (the kick of alcohol was replaced by jalapeno juice.  Mmmm!). I have my eye on a few more martinis as well as a chocolate banana mocktail. This is the first time we’ve had a drink package. I’m quite enjoying it!

My cousin loves Lemon Drops. I now
love Lemon Drops and will defer to my
cousin on all future beverage decisions.

This particular cruise ship is an older, smaller ship – one of the two owned by Princess that can do a full transit of the old Panama Canal. It is at about 90% capacity, 30% of which are fancypants Elite cruisers who have summited Princess Cruises’ loyalty ranks. The envied Elites get to gaze upon the lowly Platinums, Rubys, and Golds while enjoying their free canapes, complimentary minibar set-up, discounted Internet package, and casualwear freshly laundered gratis.

This is the first time Rob and I have cruised as Elites. It’s been a little weird. Although I think I like the free laundry service (I handed over 3 inadequately sized, very stuffed, and imminently ripping paper bags of dirty duds this morning with assurances I will see their clean versions in just 3 short days. Stay tuned…), I’m not sure I like the entitled vibe of traveling with so many statused cruisers. It’s hard to feel special when practically everyone around you is just as special. Not for lack of trying, though. The savviest and more established Elites have found a way to stake their elevated status by not very casually asking, “How many cruises have you been on?”

Rob and I have cruised a fair amount (it is a great way to travel with a cranky back – LOVE the ever-present bed!). We have accordingly had to share a cruising dinner table with quite a few strangers over the years. Those conversations typically end up being a comparison of excursions, cruise lines, and past and future vacation destinations. However, I don’t think I have ever been asked point blank how many times I have cruised. Definitely not repeatedly. And certainly not in a fashion that is clearly the opening bid for a competition. It has felt aggressive and braggy and not entirely friendly. It’s been an instant reminder why Rob and I typically ask for a table for two for cruise dinners.

(By the way, the answer is I really don’t know. I could check – as I have a spreadsheet (duh) – but I really was just paying attention long enough to get free laundry. So my answer to the cruise competitors has been, “I don’t really know but enough to get Elite status. Which we worked the system to get by taking one-day repositioning cruises between Seattle and Vancouver and getting double cruise credits by booking single rooms and suites.” It’s an honest answer that I have hoped takes the focus off numbers and puts it on tips so I might learn some new cruise tricks. Disappointingly, this tactic has yet to work.)

Hard to say what the next batch of At Sea Days hold. It’s pretty cold, windy, and fog-horny here in the North Atlantic so all activities are thus far indoor activities. I packed one swimsuit for giggles (and one excursion) but otherwise, I am bundled up and not bothering with communal hot tubs or saunas. So far I am not desperate for land and instead am enjoying having limited demands for my time and attention. I’m sleeping pretty well, getting exercise by adhering to my cruisy No Elevators Rule, and am starting to finally relax despite the ability to check email at whim.

Half-way through, I’m really liking this At Sea thing!

On a couch outside an Italian restaurant.
Bars and restaurants can be great places
for quiet activities during the day.

No comments: