Sunday, August 6, 2023

FAIR DAY 2 ~ Fielding Questions!

I lazily woke up this morning to gurgling sounds. Naturally, I assumed it was my stomach. Turns out it was lightly raining! We only got 0.03 inch but it was enough to remind us that we have gutters. I’m actually contemplating wearing pants to the Fair today, which is rather rare.

Rob and I spent 5 break-free hours in the Passport to Fun Gazebo yesterday. It was a BLAST! I wasn’t sure how I would do with such a long shift, but the time passed by rather quickly. And we were sad when the next shift arrived. We might have over-trained them a bit (they were from the Gazebo’s sponsor, so they knew a LOT about the American Red Cross but not as much about where the nearest restroom was). We maturely resisted the urge to pop by an hour later just to see how things were going.

We had a great time asking kids questions, explaining how the Passport game works, giving hints where to find stamps, and watching the AGONIZING decision-making process of which trinket prize was the very best. We also served as the Unofficial Information Booth, directing people to the Pretty Baby Contest, the Washington State Fiddling Competition, the nearest restroom, the area to purchase carnival ride tickets, and the Pirate Parrot Show. Oddly, we were asked three times where the Smoking Areas are. Last year, not a single smoker bothered to ask. Thank you, smoking rule followers!

We helped one 4-H family locate a booth where they could purchase a long-sleeved shirt to fit under the required 4-H uniform to spare the icicle pre-teen from freezing in the Show Ring. They returned several minutes later all smiles and thank yous, sporting adorable cow shirts from a discount bin. That made my day!

Fair Fanatics at your service!

After we tore ourselves away from the Gazebo at 3:00, we rushed over to Smashers to grab provisions so we could trot back to the Family Fun Stage to see our Very Talented Neighbors compete in the 4-H Performing Arts event. Woodhaven Rambling Fair Fans will remember that last year there was a HUGE brain fart on the part of the event organizers and a full piano – with all the octaves and stuff – was not available. This totally messed up two performances, which unfortunately gave the affected kids a real-life lesson in how to handle major disappointment that is totally out of your control (spoiler alert: they handled it beautifully). This year, maaaany phone calls were made by numerous people to ensure the proper equipment was provided. The performances – a year delayed – were nonetheless award-winning.

The flute player aged out of 4H last year but
was invited to come back to perform with
her full-sized piano accompaniment

Karoline ROCKS! And got a lot of
pretty ribbons!  You can watch one
of her performances here

The rest of the evening was spent enjoying more music. I got whiplash going from the Big Band sounds Benny Goodman and Glen Miller by a local jazz band comprised of retired musicians...

All AARP members and having 
a BLAST! Lots of toe tapping and
head bobbing in the audience!

...to whatever it was that George Thorogood was playing. I guess it was blusey rock? Rob tried to prep me with YouTube sound clips of George’s greatest hits. Turns out I only knew The Hit, which George was kind enough to play before the encore. I spent most of the concert cringing at George’s “bad boy who might get arrested” stage persona while debating with Rob whether the bright white shoes George was wearing were patent leather loafers (Rob’s choice) or sensible Sketchers (my choice).

George and his sensible shoes

Spotted in the BBQ line. The wearer
looked to be about the same age as
George (70s). VERY snazzy!
Do Sketchers come in red??

We are heading back to the Fairgrounds today right after church, with hopes to meet up with some friends and see a cat competition. FAIR!!

DAY 2 FAIR FOOD FEAST COLLAGE!

Clockwise from top left

 Breakfast from the Lions Booth before our 10am shift in the Gazebo. Scrambled eggs were tasty but I was super bummed I couldn't find any Tabasco. I also ate both slices of bacon but we forgot to get a photo.

 Milkshake snack! Strawberry Cookies n Cream -- my favorite combo. This one was particularly good -- it had more Cookies than usual. Rob ordered for me and ordered it as "Cookies n Cream with Strawberries" instead of how I usually order it as "Strawberry with Cookies n Cream." I will be testing this order theory later in the Fair. Research is important!

Pulled Pork Nachos from the new Daddy D's BBQ booth. Verdict: Meh. The pulled pork was a little too mushy and there wasn't much special about the sauce or cheese. Jalapenos would have helped. For $16, I expected a lot more. I'll still try the Pulled Pork Sandwich, which I've heard is good. But so far, I miss Patrick's.

Chicken Strips from the Boppin' Bo's Booth next to the Grandstands. Came with curly fries. We stopped there because there was no line and we were in a hurry to get to the Performing Arts competition. There's a reason there wasn't a line. The curly fries were limp and tasteless and the chicken strips had a weird texture that made me kept checking to make sure they had been thoroughly cooked. I eventually decided they were cooked fine but I didn't like the weird slippery feel between the meat and the batter. Lesson learned: stick with the Lions booth for chicken strips.

Not photographed: A Mango Smasher -- because I was thirsty and preoccupied, and two Tums after the nachos just as a precaution.






No comments: