Saturday, August 12, 2023

FAIR DAY 8 ~ Just a good ol’ Fair day!

Today started a little rough. While we were on our way to the Fairgrounds, I got a couple of texts that reminded me of The World Outside the Fair. Nothing terrible and nothing actually urgent, but still enough to snatch me out of my Fair Bubble for an hour or two and make me a little grumpy. While I am tempted to go into Airplane Mode for the 10 days of Fair, I would miss the very definitely urgent texts from friends wanting to know where the best corn dogs are or if we can meet up for an elephant ear. First World Fair Problems.

Once I got back in the Fair Zone, we had a lovely day. We chatted with friends, we ate, we enjoyed the civilized mid-80s temperatures before they get all wackadoodle over the weekend.

Back home in My Happy Place!

The main event in the Grandstands was Tuff Trucks. This is an annual favorite for all involved, as the participants are predominantly local rednecky teenagers and twenty-somethings. They drive their trucks through a dirt obstacle course to see who can make it through the fastest, while the audience hopes for rollovers and busted head gaskets from the dirt mounds and mud ponds the trucks have to navigate. I suspect this sort of entertainment happens organically throughout the summer in the woods and forests of north Clark County. So it is not surprising that a few years ago, Tuff Trucks became a two-day event to accommodate all the eager Amboy-Yacolt-Battle Ground-La Center yahoos with lifted trucks.

Lots of popped tires, some broken
radiators, some busted head gaskets,
one full 360 degree rollover, and one
90 degree rollover. Drivers were fine! 

It was not raining. The mud was from
the pool of water in the bottom of the 
photo. It was wonderfully messy
obstacle.

We finally took a stroll through the commercial side of the Big Air Conditioned Building. Although still not full to capacity with politicians and gadget hawkers like pre-Covid days, there were a lot fewer empty booths this year. We’re getting there!

I took a little breather on a Purple Mattress made of plastic honeycombs while the salesguy – who unbeknownst to me was holding a remote control – made my feet and head go up and down and then creeped me out by making the bed vibrate. We elected not to make a purchase, despite it possibly being the best ride at the Fair.

We tasted some locally marketed tea, learned about virtual reality escape rooms, got some tips how to level out some patio pavers, waved off a lady who promised her scary massager would eliminate my back pain (been there, done that, still hurt), and noted where the booth is for my annual End-Of-Fair Ring Cleaning on Sunday.

Rob and I are seriously considering
trying out a real live escape room
sometime in the depths of winter
when we want to escape the rain.

Love this new vendor! I've seen all 
sorts of teenagers carrying around
succulents and small plants purchased
from this guy. His booth is a peaceful
little oasis of calm and green. 

We also finally decided to check out the Butterfly Room. This free exhibit has been at our Fair for years and for some reason, I never thought to wander in. Silly me!  It was so fun! It was just a tent filled with flower pots and plants and butterflies flitting about. But it also had lots of lightly breezy fans and shade and grade school kids giggling and trying hard to move slowly so as not to frighten the butterflies. There was energy and excitement, but also whispers and the summoning of every ounce of self-control a 6-year-old body can manage. I found myself quietly giggling as butterflies tickled my leg and then my neck as one decided my popcorn earring might actually be real (it is not). What a great reminder that there is ALWAYS something new to discover at our Fair!

Maybe I should send this photo to
my favorite shoe company for a 
promotional shot. I have a small
addiction to this brand. They are
Fairing extremely well!

It tickled so much! I was vibrating
trying to contain my giggles and slight
terror.

FAIR FOOD FEAST COLLAGE!

TOP ROW:
Arnold Palmer Spindrift (half tea, half lemonade)

Peach Pear Smasher! Glad I tried the competition
yesterday in Tillamook so I could report back 
my findings. Team Washington Smasher all the way!

Chicken strips from the Lions Booth. Much better 
than the ones from the Boppin' Bo's stand. Bigger,
better batter, not as slimy. But I forgot my Sriracha
at home and had only Ranch dressing to douse
them with. Aaaargh!!

Crinkle fries from the Lions Booth that came
with Rob's cheeseburger. Very tasty and I ate
them with lots of ketchup to pretend I'm getting
some fruits and veggies in my Fair diet.

MIDDLE ROW:
Red Vine licorice from the Candy Truck next to the
Slingshot. The woman working the truck said
she had just gotten them so they were nice and 
fresh. She had already had two of them.
My vine was gone before dinner.

Root beer! I wasn't planning to have this, but
the booth I ordered dinner from was having issues
with their corn and offered me a drink instead of 
waiting yet many more minutes for my meal. It
was tasty, but I prefer my bubbles to be more watery.

OMG. That was a LOT of chicken! The menu said it
was a 1/4 lb of chicken, not 1/4 of a chicken. Nevertheless,
it was VERY tasty! Moist meat, the skin was flavorful and 
BBQ'd just right. It was hard to eat, so I just used the
leg as a handle. I didn't quite finish it, but I quite 
enjoyed it. From the BBQ stand next door to the 
Milkshake Barn. They also have turkey legs for $11
instead of $20 at other booths...for those who care.

Accompanying coleslaw. MUCH better
than the slaw at Daddy D's. Tangier, crunchier,
coleslawier. 

BOTTOM ROW:
Hush Puppies from Daddy D's BBQ. Rob ordered
them as a snack and I helped inhale them. By far
the best thing at Daddy D's. Great texture, good
spices, no need for the accompanying honey packet.

Deep Fried Cookie Dough from the Sweet Cheeks
truck. Honestly, not all that good. I'm guessing it
wasn't fresh even though I asked (they were 
pretty swamped). It tasted sort of chemically
instead of sweet. A reminder to always make
sure your fried fair food is fresh!

Deep Fried Oreos. MUCH better! Deliciously
warm and soft Oreos snuggled in donut
batter. We shared an order with some
friends...which proves how much
we love Emma and Zane.

Peach Milkshake to cap off the day!
Honestly, not my favorite. Yes, I know 
peach is THE flavor to have since the 
peaches are fresh and local. But there
just wasn't enough of them so my 
shake tasted more vanilla than peach.
Either I need to order double peach or I 
just need to eat a peach and skip the ice
cream. On Monday -- not now! Because
who eats fresh, unadulterated fruit
during Fair?!?

 TODAY’S EARRINGS

A number of years ago, I used some
White Cheddar kettle corn to fashion
some homemade earrings. They lasted 
a frighteningly long time. Ooked out, 
I decided to find some plastic ones. 
Despite these clearly being popcorn earrings.
one weird guy hawking insurance thought
they were teeth.

 TODAY’S T-SHIRT

Proudly wearing my Tillamook
County Fair Pig-n-Ford Commemorative
T-Shirt! Because some fairs sell stuff
like that. Grrrr.

No comments: