Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Summer’s Best Party is almost here!

Greetings, Fair Fans!!!  The 2023 Clark County Fair is just TWO DAYS away!!  WHOO HOO!!!!!!

Rob and I went to the Fairgrounds yesterday, just to look around and feel the air of anticipation and preparation. As we ran into folks we knew, each one looked at me and said knowingly, “Just here for a pre-check?” They get me!

We chatted with Smashers Stan and got to see the inside of his groovy beverage truck. We noted some new food offerings (a tantalizing BBQ joint has replaced my beloved Patrick’s Hawaiian Café – I’m already conflicted). Rob helped our friend Kirk move a really heavy display cabinet for the Robotics 4-H’ers while I helpfully noted one of the legs was broken. We chatted with our friend Linda as she fielded questions about Open Class Arts & Crafts entries. We said hello to our friend Steve and met his 7-year-old granddaughter, congratulating her on some fine Kid Art entries. And we stopped in the Rabbit Barn, noting it smelled boringly clean and un-animaled with only empty cages filling its walls. Can’t wait ‘til Friday to breathe in that intoxicating aroma of fresh hay and bunny poops!

In other words, we Pre-Faired well and the excitement is mounting!

SOOO close to Smashers, I can almost
taste them! Strawberry Mango, I'm
comin' for you!


I'm devastated I won't have Patrick's Yakisoba
Noodles as an option, but Daddy D's Rib Tips are 
looking rather delectable.

I wonder if they used a chocolate Easter
bunny as a model?

I have spent some time today reviewing my approach to last year’s Fairing. Although I didn’t remember exactly what I had done, I did remember I had done it with much more wisdom and sleep than in past years. And as a result, I wasn’t completely spent (literally and figuratively) by Day 10. So let’s do that again!

My plan this year is to FAIR with my trademark delight and abandon while also pacing myself such that I am not a deep-fried heap of exhaustion at the end. I will be eating and watching and playing and talking and cheering and smiling and blogging. But I will also be sleeping and breathing and resting and listening. Mostly to my body parts, because they like to talk. A lot.

So, I won’t be blogging here every night (or morning) of the Fair. Instead, my recaps will appear as inspired and with plenty of rest. However, photos will appear frequently throughout the day on my @its_the_fair Instagram account, so please follow along! Rob and I have two different volunteer gigs this year, which we are super excited about! And we will be taking one day off to go check out a completely ridiculous competition we heard about on the Oregon Coast. Stay tuned for that head-scratching hilarity!

Less than 50 hours to go!!  FAIR! FAIR!! FAIR!!!


No comments: