Thursday, August 11, 2016

FAIR 2016 – Day 6

Today was just pure fun! It was a perfect Fair day.

We ran into lots of friends, we hung out with the llamas, we set up camp in our normal spot in the grandstands for mutton bustin’ and bull riding, we ate, we meandered, we laughed ourselves silly at our favorite hypnotist’s show, and we closed down the Fair to the point we don’t know what the re-entry stamp animal was because we left the Yellow Gate 20 minutes after the gate was closed.

It was THAT sort of Fair Day. My heart is so happy!

Some highlights...


A behind-the-hair tour
Last night at about 10:00pm, my dear friend Shelley texted me three photos of her teen daughter Maddie. Maddie is --- are you ready?? --- running for FAIR COURT!!! When I found out a few weeks ago I was literally bouncing on the couch with excitement. But not in a manic Tom Cruise way because, well, my knee.

I am absolutely giddy with thoughts of possibly being able to see what life is like on the inside of the Fair Court instead of on the stalkery outskirts. GIDDY!!!

But first Maddie has to compete for a spot on the court. And the competition began today.

Well, actually it began last night in Shelley's dining room with Fluffy Rodeo Hair Prep.

The photos that Shelley texted me were of Maddie’s long blonde hair in curlers. Being a person with short hair – and hair that was rather wavy and curly before it was short – I know nothing of curlers.

I immediately texted back questions, asking about the various roller colors and if Maddie was really going to sleep in what can best be described as a collection of Peeps exploding in a rainbow of colors all over her head. (I have not yet been given permission to share the photos. SORRY!!)

Shelley explained the method to the Peep madness as well as comments about setting wax and hair spray and wings and teasing (the hair, not by Maddie’s three brothers…as far as I know).

I was fascinated!

So you can probably imagine my glee when I saw Maddie and the other contestants and the current Fair Court bouncing fluffily down the midway this morning.

Maddie is Contestant #4 -- the first one in pink
GO MADDIE GO!

Maddie was so sweet to stop and pose for a picture. As I hugged her, I couldn’t help but touch her hair. My fingers were immediately sticky, like from cotton candy but stickier. It was so cool!

SO DANG EXCITED!!!!

We ran into Maddie and the entourage a few times throughout the day.  We also made sure to be at the two grandstand events early so we could hear the girls get some public speaking practice by introducing themselves in front of several thousand people. Maddie did a great job both times – she sounded prepared but natural and not a hint of nerves.  In front of several thousand people.  ACK!

The next and final day of competition is Sunday. It’s THE Fair Court Day. The girls will be doing public speeches, a little fashion show, answering goofy questions without preparation, and then competing in a horse event to simulate some of the parade and public relations stuff the Court does throughout the year. Then the Court is announced in the final hours of the Fair.  One way or another, I suspect I will be in tears.

I will be there the entire day, trailing Maddie and the other contestants as much as I can without being creepy or making Maddie nervous. Lucky for me, Maddie seems to have nerves of steel.  So trailing, stalking, whatever.  I plan to be oh-so-casually ever present.

Stay tuned for Sunday!!!



Llama Eating Contest
After we grabbed lunch, we headed straight for the Llama Greenway to greet Rojo and Lori and Dave and Napoleon and Smokey and Beni. Some of those are humans…but most are not.

As was intended, this sign stopped us in our tracks.


Naturally, we wondered which llama had misbehaved to the point of these extreme measures being taken. And I started pondering which condiments might be provided.

We were relieved and intrigued to find out that the contest was between two llamas – Rojo and La Joya – to see which one would eat the strangest variety of foods. My kind of contest!  When do the humans get to compete??

I know Rojo pretty well. He is not terribly discerning when it comes to eating. If it’s edible, he’s pretty much in favor. I like Rojo.  I understand Rojo.  I can’t imagine any llama being able to seriously compete with him in the eating realm.

But apparently a few days ago, Shannon (Rojo’s best girl) and Trent (La Joya’s best guy) were chatting and comparing notes about the unusual things their llamas will eat. Trent threw down that La Joya had recently enjoyed a blue Sour Patch Kid. Shannon saw that and raised it with Rojo’s recent devouring of a Voodoo Donut. It wasn’t long before this official score sheet and accompanying trophy were concocted.

Click on photo to get a better view.
Key items of note:  Doritos, Cheerios, Goldfish crackers,
string cheese, dried cranberries

Is this awesome or what?  I want one, I want one!

The contest drew quite a crowd and a lot of laughs. Many voices around me noted that Rojo seemed interested in eating just about everything. And he wasn’t especially delicate about it.


“I think Rojo would eat a tire if you put it in front of his mouth,” one guy next to me commented to nobody in particular.

Indeed, as much as La Joya had a wider culinary range than I expected, she could not out-eat Rojo.

The only things Rojo refused to eat were the dog and cat treats (La Joya turned her muzzle up at them, too). Rojo wasn’t entirely sure about the pickles or olives at first, but he did munch on both of them for a spell before undelicately letting them fall from his mouth.

The final score was Rojo 25, La Joya 19. I fully expect this to be an annual event.

There was discussion that next year it would be fun
to include various Fair Food options.  I'm pretty
sure I can beat them both.


Birds of a feather
We spent some time watching market turkeys being judged. I learned that “market turkeys” are ones that are raised to be eaten. Therefore they are judged on the size and meatiness their drumsticks and breasts. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that.

While we were watching the judging, an extra pen was needed so an old, mellow goose named Ollie was released and allowed to roam freely about the poultry greenway.

I was standing within eavesdropping distance (always my favorite location) of some 4H’ers who were familiar with Ollie. They all watched with great amusement and appreciation as Ollie stretched his wings and waddled directly to a cage with a very special black duck in it.

It turns out that Ollie and the duck live together. And even though at the Fair they have been separated by a number of feet and cages, Ollie knew right where to go. He stopped next to his buddy and happy bobbed his head around, his beak in and out of the duck’s cage, as if saying hello and I’ve missed you.

It was the sweetest display of fine feathered friendship I’ve ever seen.





For a guy who didn’t want to be on stage, he had quite a presence

We caught the late show of our favorite hypnotist, Jerry Harris. It was one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a number of years. There was one participant – Durant (great name!) – who was initially reluctant to go on stage but ended up being deeply hypnotized and utterly hysterical.

Durant was given a stack of paper napkins and was told they were $100 bills. To keep them safe, he stuffed them down the front of his pants. Later Durant thought he was auditioning for the role of Elsa in the Broadway production of “Frozen.” At the critical “LET IT GO!” verse in the song, he leapt across the stage, reached into his pants, and made his “money” rain all over the stage. This was not a suggestion from Jerry – Durant was just that determined to get the part.

Durant later performed Toby Keith’s “Red White and Blue” song with great confidence and accuracy because, well, he was Toby Keith. Later a more conscious Durant assured all of us that he in fact loathes country music and doesn’t know any artists or songs in the genre and would never ever perform a country song in front of an audience.  Jerry rocks!  And so did Durant!

I haven’t laughed that hard or that loud in a LONG time. Tonight's show was even better than that ridiculously funny sausage factory scene in “The Secret Life of Pets.” When I laughed at that scene, a few people in the movie theater actually turned to look at me. Tonight was even snortier than that. Awesome!




STATS:

Walked: 8,826 steps or 3.7 miles. I thought it was closer to 2.7 miles. I didn’t want to walk nearly 4 miles again. I’m a little worried how my knee might feel tomorrow. It’s on ice as I type.

Re-entry animal: we have no idea since the gate closed 20 minutes before we got there

Tums: Two…decided as we were driving home and I was burping corn dog. That’s not how I want to go to sleep

Knee Scar Band-Aid: I am wearing a Band-Aid over my ACL scar for the next year or so to prevent the scar from getting sun and therefore becoming permanently dark. I figure if I have to wear Band-Aids, I might as well have fun with them. Since it will be shorts weather the rest of the Fair, here is today’s Knee Band-Aid:




FAIR FOOD FEAST PARADE:

I actually went to bed last night musing over what I might eat today. Yes, I am definitely in The Zone. WHOO HOO!

Strawberry Smasher from Stan the Smasher Man!  I chatted
with him today, learned his name, and yep, he knows of my
newspaper blog. Thanks for the drink and the conversation, Stan!
As for the Strawberry, I liked it but Pineapple is still
my favorite.  I'm thinking I might ask Stan if he
would be willing to do a Strawberry-Pineapple
combo version for me.  Doesn't that sound tasty??


The Rancher from the grilled cheese place.  Chicken, bacon,
tomato, cheddar and monterey jack cheese, and
ranch dressing.  SO GOOD!  I'm not sure I have a
favorite yet.  Mmmmm!! 


Today's Hawaiian Shave Ice:  Grape and Tangerine.
Grape is a favorite, the tangerine was new.
I liked it.  It will get circled on my list.
I typically don't like artificial orange flavored stuff
so I was surprised and happy to be enjoying the tangerine.
And the grape matched my shirt.


For Lisa, I tried the deep fried red velvet cake.  YES!
I enjoyed this quite a bit.  It was red cake inside funnel cake with
just enough icing to be there but not overwhelm things.
How can there be anything wrong with that?!?
I feared this might be too rich for me, like the cheesecake,
but I happily finished it and unhappily gave Rob a bite.
Definitely recommended!


Rob and I wanted a little snack so we split the poutine.
Really generous helping of fries and more filling
than we were expecting.  Our snack sort of became an
early dinner instead.  Oops.
The poutine has become this year's "Find" that I
tell people about when they ask what's new to
eat. And I get asked that with surprising frequency.


Strawberry Pina Colada slushy from the vendor across from
the milkshake barn.  I had a free sample of it a few days
ago and it worked!  Paid for this one and enjoyed it
while watching bull riding.  I realize now I should
have worn the two umbrellas behind my ears.
Dang it! 


Late night snack and the reason for the Tums.
Sure was good though. Love the corn dogs
from the Lions booth.  And it matched
my earrings.  In real life I typically do not
try to coordinate my clothes with my food.
But FAIR!!


Helping Rob with his crunchy fries from the Lions booth.
Like  my friend Erika, I sort of pretended the
ketchup counted as a fruit/vegetable. Hey, it
worked for Reagan, right?

1 comment:

Donna from Chocolatetown said...

WHERE do you put all of this food? You must have a hollow leg as my Dad used to say. Everything looks scrumptious, esp the df red velvet cake and the grilled cheese.

I'm so glad they weren't eating llamas. The sign had me worried little bit. :)

Good luck and Best Wishes to Mattie!

Love the bandaid. As a nurse, I can tell you that wounds covered with cute bandids tend to scar less. ;)

Rob is doing a bang-up job as your photographer and many other things, I'm sure.

You deserve an eating champ trophy!

Can you post your earrings of the day, please?

Glad your knee is holding out. Ice is nice.

Can't wait for your next blog post!