Monday, March 4, 2019

My exertribe

Thanks to a titanium erector set in my spine and a Really Big Government Agency deeming my back a big ol’ mess, I am a reluctant member of an exercise program called Silver and Fit. I am currently at least half of those.

Silver and Fit is a benefit offered through a Massive Healthcare Program aimed at people 65 or older. However, because that Really Big Government Agency agrees my back is more like that of an 80-year-old, they let me sneak into the Old People’s Club extra early. Like when I was 33. Go creaky, broken me.

Although they offer all sorts of in-home kits for folks who can’t or don’t want to leave their homes to exercise, the biggest benefit to me of this Silver and Fit thing is free membership at any and all participating gyms and fitness clubs.

Yep, that’s right. There aren’t a lot of benefits of this life with titanium and chronic back pain, but a huge one is I can go to lots of gyms for free. No sign-up fees, no monthly fees, no class fees. Just amble in with my white hair and Silver and Fit eligibility info and TA DA! I can sweat and ache all I want in the company of much more toned and Lycra’d strangers.

I haven’t been taking advantage of this benefit since my ACL replacement a few years ago. My exercise has been in the form of walking in my favorite park or riding a stationary recumbent bike in the company of pampered cats wandering through Woodhaven on their way to food and litter boxes. Although my back and knee and other body parts thrive on 30-60 minutes of intentional movement each day, I have to admit I often let other more pressing needs…like tea or the Internet or my couch…take priority.

Shortly after the New Year, a resolute friend told me she had started attending a Silver and Fit class at a long-forgotten local gym. Knowing that I am much more committed to exercise when I have a class to show up for, I quickly signed my 51-year-old self up for my free gym membership. I have been attending the Old People Class twice a week for about three weeks.

I have taken all sorts of fitness classes over the decades, pre and post titanium. Step aerobics, Zumba, Pilates, Fitness Ball. The Silver and Fit class is one of the oddest classes I have ever taken. And I’m slowly learning to love it.

About 20-25 mostly silver and somewhat fit people trudge up the stairs to the gym’s studio for each class. Unlike every other fitness class I have ever taken, about half of the participants are men. Never in my life have I seen more than 1-2 men in an exercise class, and rarely have they returned.

Many of the men are with their wives, although a number seem to be on their own. Almost every one of them wears jeans. Many of the women are in slacks. This is not a class of sports bras and Lycra capris and yoga pants. Most folks arrive in street clothes, seemingly ready to head to an early lunch or a doctor’s appointment after class is over. I guess they don’t sweat?

I’ve noticed a lot of folks wear watches on their wrists. An odd sight these days with smart phones doubling as intensely accurate clocks. I noticed the watch thing because I’m old school and wear one, too. Here I thought I was being whimsically vintage. Perhaps I’m just being prematurely 75?

There are a few men with their phones in belt clips a la pager days. The women keep their phones in their purses nearby. One man arrives with his oxygen equipment. At first I thought that didn’t bode well for the class; now I am just so impressed that he is coming and moving despite a really good excuse not to. Nevertheless, I can’t say I’ve ever considered an oxygen condenser as fitness equipment before.

We get our fit on using a chair, light weights, and an exercise band. The cardio is reminiscent of basic step aerobics, with grapevines and toe taps and Hustles forward and back. The chair is to steady balance at any moment and for very light ab work. Or a handy place to take a breather as needed.

As of today, Angie (the instructor) and I agreed I will replace the chair from now on with a large exercise ball for a more advanced work out AND because my back feels safer that way (90% of my physical therapy rehab for my back surgeries used a large fitness ball so it is very familiar and comforting territory).

The music that accompanies our workouts is targeted to the demographic. Lots of hits from the ‘40s, ‘50s, and ‘60s. I like those eras so I’m quite happy, although I have had quite enough of Sloopy and the admonishments for him to hang on. Disappointingly but not surprisingly, I’ve yet to hear a song involving a synthesizer.

The crowd is still sizing me up. The first several classes, I felt very conspicuous and like people were staring at me. And honestly, it wasn’t just a feeling. A few were indeed staring. Mostly because I’m new, but probably also because I am clearly not old enough to be in the class. I look and mostly move my age…which in a group that seems to average in the 70s is indeed conspicuous.

I desperately want to explain about my titanium and retirement status and all the stuff about the Really Big Government Agency giving me permission to be there. Instead, I keep hoping my silver hair is giving me sufficient credibility until my story gets out.

A few people have introduced themselves, one telling me how much of a family the group is. I have had a sense of that, as there seem to be real friendships there and a true care for each other.

Last week one lady reported that she had visited a woman who had not attended the class in a couple of months and wasn’t responding to phone calls. Turns out she had been sick and was also taking care of some family issues. A "thinking of you" card was circulated for well wishes and encouragements.

This morning a man left the class early and Angie went running after him. The man has early Alzheimer’s and Angie wanted to make sure he was safe. The class remembered together an incident several years ago when a man with dementia wandered out of class to “go take a walk.” Angie retrieved him, too.

There is definitely a sense of community with these Silver and Fit folks. They greet each other warmly, they each have their spots, they keep tabs on each other. I like the vibe even if the exercises are perhaps a little easy for me. So I’ve been doing what I can to make sure I get value out of this class. I might lift my arms a little higher or step a little bigger or use a band with more resistance. I am definitely sweating and am happy to be in my t-shirt-covered sports bra and yoga pants.

But I am also aware that I am in many ways an interloper. I don’t want to draw attention to myself. Wondering if I might fit in better elsewhere, I attended an able-bodied-people class last week. I left early. I was far too silver and not nearly fit enough for that capried, nimble tribe. They weren’t particularly friendly, either – each seemingly more focused on her core than her surroundings.

So for now…and maybe for a long while…these older seniors are my people. My exercise buddies. My exertribe. And I think they are just nice enough to let me stay until I'm old enough to be there.

1 comment:

adelaveaga said...

Hi Toni!

I was cleaning out my email and was reminded about your blog! I enjoyed reading about your exercise class. I've never been motivated to do much exercise. I try to walk at least several times a week. If I'm listening to an audiobook I forget it's even exercise. Ah, someday I'll get more serious. Tammy and I have been doing a 7-minute exercise app but I do it pretty sporadically. I almost came to Portland this weekend for the AWP writing conference. Instead I may go to a conference in May in New York. Do you have summer travel plans?