Friday, August 23, 2019

Fair Fun 2019 – Recap, Lessons Learned

We’ve been home for a week from our Grand Fairing Adventure and we are finally starting to recover. Rob and I both agree we had an absolutely fantastic time. We had talked for a few years about road-tripping around Midwestern fairs and I am so grateful we finally did it!  It was even better and more delicious than I imagined.

Rob and I also agree that we are never going to do a trip quite like this again. Oh our aching bodies! Four fairs over two weeks in four states in three time zones proved to be a bit…aggressive? It all made a ton of sense in February when we were booking rooms and flights and a rental car. As so many ideas do from the comfort of a recliner with a cat and a mug of tea.  Somehow we completely underestimated the exhaustion of so much fairing.  Ooopsie.

But that does not mean we are done exploring Fairs. Far from it! We have a list going of other Fairs we must attend. Minnesota, Texas, and New Mexico State Fairs have all been strongly recommended. As has the Orange County Fair in Southern California. Although this might be news to Rob, I could see us attending My Beloved Fair plus another fair or two each year…as long as we have more than two travel days of “rest” in between. A lot depends on geography, dates, and A1C levels.

The opportunity to explore other Fairs, try new foods, see far-flung friends and family, and get a peek at lifestyles and cultures beyond the Pacific Northwest was all what I adore about travel. I loved being surprised and lost. I loved having new things to write about. I loved gathering a list of suggestions to improve My Beloved Fair. I loved realizing a new appreciation for things My Fair does extraordinarily well.

I admit, though, it was difficult to ditch My Fair after only three days. I found myself intentionally avoiding pictures friends at home were posting of My Fair, as it hurt my heart to be missing out. I missed seeing all sorts of friends every day and having lingering conversations. I missed seeing my llama and alpaca buddies (human and camelid) rock their competitions and score lots of ribbons. I missed seeing the rodeo and demolition derby. I missed hanging out with some new neighbors while watching their two daughters learn and grow with their horsemanship. I missed feeling like I was part of the unique and cherished community that is My Fair.


Favorite Fair?
I’ve spent quite a bit of time figuring out which of the three state fairs we attended was my favorite. For awhile it was a tie between Wisconsin and Iowa.  But with more reflection, Iowa decidedly nudged ahead by a handful of corn kernels.

I loved the smaller feeling of the Wisconsin Fair.  I felt like I could almost wrap my arms around it.  It had a smallish-town community spirit that made me feel at home. I was also blown away by how dang friendly everyone was. I honestly don’t think the Wisconsinites were friendly just because they were double-fisting beer. I’m guessing it was the cheese and Aaron Rodgers, too.

They take their Fair Food seriously in Wisconsin, with the annual Sporkies contest amongst the food vendors. That there is State Fair Genius. I immediately felt like I was in the midst of deep fried kindred spirits.  The must-have cream puff and cheese curds were pretty amazing.  Those regional delicacies definitely added to the character and sense of being in Wisconsin and not just a random fair. So there was much to love and appreciate about the Wisconsin State Fair…even if they insisted on making a big deal about the Green Bay Packers.

But did I mention the pork in Iowa? OMG. I am still dreaming about the pork chop and that incredible brown sugar pork belly on a stick. Truly, my life with pork has changed forever. I also loved how down-homey and folksy the Iowa State Fair felt despite it being massive (they need TWO sky gliders to cover the length of the Fair!). Iowans are rightfully proud of their Fair. There is history there (there was even a museum onsite), not to mention mostly-ignored television cameras and Big Time Politicians vaguely legitimizing the Fair's national importance and credibility.

I also had two Amazing Moments In Fairing at the Iowa State Fair. I got to see a baby piglet being born AND I got to watch arm wrestling in an old auction house oozing with nostalgia. Both of those moments were magical and filled me with a joy and gratitude I wish I could bottle.  In some ways, the Iowa State Fair felt like a huge family reunion where crashers were welcomed and offered a cold beverage. The longer we were there, the more the Iowans captured my heart…and tummy.

I wasn’t as excited by the Indiana State Fair. Some of that is due to its split-personality. But I also realized, as we drove from the Fair back to Chicago for our flight, that what I really didn’t like was Indianapolis. The Fair is sort of right in the capital city…and the city felt a bit gritty with some rough edges.  That grittiness and urbanity seeped into the Fair making it feel like less of an escape than the other Fairs.

I was also disappointed with the Indiana Fair’s food options. They didn’t really have anything iconic or special. We found a few gems (I’m talking to you, elephant ear calzone stuffed with baked apples.  WOW!) but overall the food was pretty standard and sort of boring.

I loved the old timey section of the Indiana State Fair, and the Taste of Indiana was indeed tasty and educational (probably what the Iowa Fair After Dark event was aiming for but failed miserably). I was also blown away by the foresight and ingenuity of the Indiana folks providing Info Cards next to the judging rings so spectators could try to play along when cows or pigs or sheep were being expertly evaluated. So Indiana definitely got some things right; there were just some areas that the other two fairs did much better.


Me and the very best Fair Buddy on the planet
enjoying our favorite Iowa State Fair between feedings


Lessons Learned
Like anything you try for the first time, there are things you learn along the way. Some seem obvious after the fact; others are revelations and true “AH-HA!” moments. Here are some insights gleaned from our Inaugural Fair Fun On the Road trip:
  • We can explore and pretty much cover a State Fair in two concerted days if we are by ourselves. If we are Fairing with other people – especially little ones – we need at least one extra day.
  • We average about 9 hours per day at our Fair. We averaged about 11 hours daily at the State Fairs.
  • We go at a calmer, slower pace at our Fair since it is smaller and we spend a lot of time talking to friends. We are also very familiar with our Fair and typically take 9-10 days to cover it so there is no need to rush. Although we certainly took breaks at the State Fairs, there was a latent sense of urgency to see everything since we only had a few days at each. I’m guessing this played into the exhaustion that we are almost but not quite recovered from.
  • We Fair better alone. We absolutely loved seeing our friends and family – and would and will do it again as it was great fun to see the Fairs through locals’ eyes. But, Rob and I are introverts who are sort of addicted to each other. We noted we felt more connected and relaxed when it was just the two of us.
  • I get emotional leaving a Fair…any Fair…for the last time.
  • Cash is better than credit cards. Surprisingly, many food vendors at all three State Fairs only accepted cash. At our Fair, those little white Squares are pretty prominent if chip readers aren’t available.  In other news, we're really hoping our regional bank reimburses ATM transaction fees.
  • Although pre-purchasing tickets online for discounts seemed like a great and smart idea, there were a few instances where freebies were not announced until much closer to the actual day, leaving us with extra tickets to find a home for. Plus you never know when your bright silver hair is going to procure a Senior Discount. It is magical!

View of the Indiana State Fair from our
free Senior Discount seats on the
Tractor Tram


STATS:

Distance walked: A total of 128,195 steps or an average of 5.34 miles per day over all four fairs. The shortest day was 3.3 miles at My Fair. The longest was 7.0 miles at the Iowa State Fair. My feet have been thrilled to be in different shoes since we got home.

Price of gas (gallon of Regular): 
Wisconsin = $3.08/gal.
Iowa = $2.89/gal.
Indiana = $2.58/gal.
Washington = $3.35/gal. Oh, state taxes…

Miles driven in our rental car: 1,392. I loved the miles in Wisconsin best. That is a gorgeous state of green hills, pastures, and barns. It looks like where good food is grown. Between the scenery and the super duper friendly people, I told Rob I would consider living in Wisconsin if I liked snow, beer, and the Packers.

Number of new pairs of Fair-themed earrings currently on order from Etsy: Four! I will now have a full set of 10 so no repeated earring days needed! Hey, we all have goals. This was one of mine.

Best Fair Food eaten: Brown Sugar Pork Belly On A Stick in the Magical Land o Bacon that is Iowa. OMG. The Chicago Dog Nachos in Wisconsin were especially delicious, too. OH! And that chocolate covered peppermint ice cream bar in Iowa!!  It was definitely a good eatin' trip.

Worst Fair Food eaten: Tie between the poutines in Indiana with duck fat and bad cheese curds AND the mushy, pudding-like deep fried milk in Wisconsin. Ick.

Number of fire flies spotted: 3 elusive ones in Efrin’s backyard parking lot in Iowa.

Thanks for the space and hospitality, Efrin!



And so here we are. The End. Our trip to check out some of the best State Fairs in the country was a dream come true. And very likely the beginning of some sort of annual or semi-annual tradition.

Next year’s Fairing will look a little different again. I’m not sure how. But I do know that I need more than 3 days at My Beloved Fair. And that four fairs over two weeks will not be happening again. Ouchy.

But I WILL be Fairing and I will be inviting you along for the miles walked, the calories consumed, the animals petted, and the tears of sweet gratitude shed. A sincere and heartfelt thank you to those of you who have hung in there with me this year, reading along, commenting, encouraging. I love writing and I love Fairing…and I love sharing both.

Fairwell until next year!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Toni. I was pointed to you blog by a guy manning an Oregon tourism booth at the Washington State Fair yesterday, Friday Aug 30.

I'm a big state fair fanatic - bigger than you! There! the gauntlet has thus been thrown. My current record for the number of state fair attended in a single year is 11. in 2018 I went to 10, including NM. This year I've so far attended IN, KY, NY, OR, WA with my sites set on NE, Georgia National (the best fair in GA) and NC. I've been to each of these 5 to 10 times each, if not more.

All told, I've been to about 35 state fairs and similar festivals. After I retire, I have my sites set on a couple of similar international fairs.

If you desire advice on which fairs to see and which to avoid you can correspond with me at doncdi6@gmail.com. I look at that email site more often than doncdi7@gmail.com.

Happy fair-going.

Don