Wednesday, August 9, 2023

FAIR DAY 5 ~ Fairing along with big smiles!

What a FUN day! We didn’t have any real plans, other than to see the Mutton Bustin’ and the rodeo. I LOVE when the dirt arrives! As much as I enjoy the randomness of the musical entertainers that pass through, it always feels like the Fair really kicks into gear when the stage is replaced by lots of dirt. Bring on the rednecky fun!!

I accidentally left my sunglasses on our kitchen table, so our first stop – even before food! – was an accessories vendor in the breezeway across from the hot tubs. I had two vendor choices. Deciding I have enough throw-away Wayfarer-style sunglasses, I redirected to the vendor selling Influencer Bohemian Dreams. All sorts of round and aviator sunglasses with various pastel lenses, plus floppy felt-ish hats, and stone pendants reportedly blessed by a shaman for good energy and karma (I’m truly not making this up – it was quite a sales pitch). Despite the fact the saleswoman insisted on calling my Gen X bright white hair “blonde” as she “styled” me, I nonetheless decided to go totally off-script and be a trendy Millennial for the day.

She insisted she was selling these
at a huge discount before she headed
back to Seattle. I just checked online.
I paid her wholesale price...but I can
also find a pair on ebay for 1/3 of 
what I paid. Oh, and they seem to be
discontinued? Sounds like she might
need to wear her Karma Rocks.

After lunch, we spent some time in the Features Exhibit, which this year is a Wizard-themed collection of interactive games and inflatables. I was hoping for a Magical Mystical stage show of some sort, but no such luck. BUT, I’m thinking the Fine Fair Folks hit a homerun with this exhibit this year! Every time we’ve wandered through so far, the place is busy with lots of happy noises and fairgoers of all ages engaged in the games. There are puzzles and things to smell and touch. There’s some archery and axe-throwing (involving Velcro, not blades). And there’s a horrible vortex tunnel you can stumble through and feel nauseous for several hours, if that’s how you like to fair. I do not and yet…

I did better by knocking Rob's axes
off the board. He later got a bullseye.

Rob eventually hit was he was aiming
for. I eventually got a bruise on my
thumb. I am SO not sportsy.

I can get vertigo all on my own.
I don't need a silly vortex machine.
Good Lord, NOT recommended for 
people over 40. But if you must know,
here's a video. Sound on for my pain.

My one gripe about the Wizard Fun exhibit is that most of the stuff is very touchy – LOTS of things to touch and pick up and put down. Even pre-COVID, I would be a little twitchy about so much communal handling. They really need to add a handwashing station at each end of the exhibit hall. The dinky hand sanitizer dispensers near the doors that are permanent fixtures are too unobtrusive and have been empty when I’ve tried to use them.

Chatting up a 10-year-old next to us in the Grandstands flopping his carnival prize around, we soon skedaddled to the games so I could win one, too. Sidling up to the game-runner, I asked with 55-year-old life experience, “What does it take for me to get a stuffed corn dog?” Fully understanding my mission, the reply was, “Three games for $5 each and it’s yours.”

Five minutes later, we returned with a Games Bracelet (so much technology these days - nobody wants cash…). Quickly recognizing me (I blame my on-point, blue reflective sunglasses covering 90% of my face), he scanned the bracelet three times, instructed me to scoop up three floating rubber ducks, and 30 seconds later I was walking away with my Bowtied Corn Dog. While I can’t say I employed any carnival game skills in acquiring my souvenir, I do feel a little victorious in the game of How the World Really Works. I quite enjoyed carrying him around the rest of the day, although I am stumped for a good name. Any suggestions for my adorable plushie-on-a-stick?

I've decided I love this photo. I look
completely and utter Faired! Also,
please note today's Fair-themed 
t-shirt -- 4-H Llama!

Speaking of adorable, a few days ago we noticed a new addition to the canning displays. This interactive faceboard is SO cute! And the idea of having painted pickle faces for unused slots is genius! I had planned to get a photo of me and Rob all pickled at some point, but it became CRITICAL when I learned that not only did we know the artist of the totally adorable pickle board – she was in the building! So yep, that’s our very talented friend Ali posing with the pickle jar she painted. I am certain it will be a feature in the exhibit for years to come.

Ali also free-hand painted the sign!
She is studying art in college -- we
can't wait to see where her talent
takes her!

A few minutes after we took this photo,
I overheard a couple of guys saying how
cool it was. I pointed at Ali and said, "You 
should tell her! She's the artist!" They
were suitably impressed and complimentary.
I LOVE bragging on people I love! 

We were sad to see the 4-H Llamas leave in the late afternoon. They are only at our Fair for the first 5 days. They are replaced by Open Class Llamas for the rest of the Fair, which in past years has often been the same set of animals. So it was barely noticeable other than some decoration changes. But things are different this year, so my heart sunk to see all the llama and alpaca pens in the Llama Greenway empty as if the Fair were over and done with. But, we still got to help a bit, as all the animals were gathered on one side of the Fair’s main walkway but needed to cross to their waiting trailers on the other side. Always looking for opportunities to lend a Fair Hand, Rob expertly stopped traffic for the unscheduled Llama and Alpaca Parade. There was something so sweetly Fair about the moment – the animals, the community, the smiles of the kids as fluffy butts trotted by, the spontaneity of helping out. I’ve watched this video a number of times already and it makes me smile every time.

I was stunned to discover one of the waiting
trailers was being hauled by a Tesla.
Teslas have tow hitches?!

Another favorite moment was as we were sitting in the Grandstands, eating dinner, waiting for the rodeo to start. Our neighbor Matt came over, greeted us warmly, and told us that his teenagers had reportedly seen us fairing “all over the place” the past several days, but they were reluctant to say hi since every time they saw us, we were “either eating or talking to people.” Yep, that sounds exactly right!! I loved that we had been spotted in the wild, doing exactly what we say we do. And also bummed that we didn’t look interruptible. Because we TOTALLY are!  That’s what the Fair is all about! Also, Matt, thank you again for your extraordinarily kind words about my blogging. Knowing people are reading and enjoying and smiling along means the world to me.

 

FAIR FOOD FEAST COLLAGE

TOP ROW:
More bubbly water! Another Spindrift favorite -
Pineapple!

Strawberry Rhubarb pie, made by the Church
Ladies. OMG. SO GOOD! I was describing
rhubarb to a young friend as "red celery."
Oddly, she didn't want to try some pie.
More for me!

MIDDLE ROW:
Ham and cheese sandwich made by the Church
Ladies. Simple, solid, delicious. But I didn't 
like the pickle spear - it was that weird brine
that cheap pickle slices come in. Boo!

My daily Strawberry Mango Smasher!
They have mastered the production this
year so they have super short lines despite 
super strong sales. GO SMASHER MAKERS!

BOTTOM ROW:
Basic potato chips that came with my sandwich.
I only eat potato chips during the Fair and the SuperBowl.
There were so few chips in the bag of air, it hardly 
counted as eating junk food.

Coffee Milkshake! Another new flavor! I don't
do caffeine (except in chocolate), so I was a little
concerned about how they were adding flavor. And I 
still don't know. But I was NOT a jittery, wired mess
the rest of the day, so I'm guessing it was a syrup and 
not actual coffee grounds, even though there was a slight
gritty texture. In any case, good but not great. Glad I
had it, but I will be sticking to other flavors.

Yakisoba from the RED stand. I've been low carbs
for a couple of years, so these chewy noodles are a
HUGE treat! I sort of inhaled them, so I popped 2 
Tums afterwards cuz I could tell I would be "enjoying"
the noodles for quite a while otherwise.


Yes, that is a travel Sriracha bottle.
Yes, I am bringing my own Sriracha
to the Fair. To the unaware, there is 
currently a Sriracha shortage so none
of the vendors have bottles next to their
napkins. Yakisoba MUST be enjoyed with
Sriracha. It's a rule. Same with chicken tenders.
And no, I'm not sharing. Unless you buy me
a Smasher or a milkshake. Then we can talk.

TODAY’S EARRINGS

Snow Cones! Which I haven't had 
yet because I've been utterly
distracted by all the new milkshake
flavors.

 

No comments: