Friday, September 24, 2021

Pandemic fatigue

Is it just me, or is this pandemic thing endlessly exhausting?

Back in July -- when Delta was just an airline -- I dared to exhale with relief that Covid was in the rearview mirror.  I started having lunch dates with friends.  I mapped out in my head all sorts of travel and fun getaways.  I bought new lipstick.  I even started using the term “post-Covid.”  

I was so adorably naïve.

Within a few short weeks, I was once again wearing a mask and avoiding hugs and saying no to indoor dining at restaurants.  I was once again holding plans very loosely and declining invitations.  I was once again making the heartbreaking and gut-wrenching categorization of people and circumstances as “safe” or “not safe.”

I hate it.  And I am so very weary.

It’s harder this time around.  Covid’s sphere of influence is creeping closer.  At one point several weeks ago, Rob and I had 13 members of our extended family in four states sick with Covid.  Last week, one of them died.  Twice we have received the dreaded “I need to let you know I was exposed to Covid and am getting tested” phone calls from people we interacted with.  Earlier today, I earnestly prayed for a young friend as we anxiously await test results from what is unfolding to be an outbreak at her job.

All this while I am also surrounded by people who are understandably over it.  Completely, utterly, exhaustingly DONE.  They are done making compromises and saying no to things and cancelling plans and postponing events and being alone.  They want to live life, virus be damned.  They are willing to take the risk of getting sick because the costs of staying safe have proven too great.  I get it.  I’m just not there yet.

And so here I am again.  Batting away fear as I try to cling to the bigger picture.  Cautiously hoping I get to attend a wedding and a baby shower and go on a beachy vacation.  Wondering if I will get to hug my parents for the second time since 2019 before it’s 2022.  Sighing with resignation that I must wait a bit longer before presuming to say “post-Covid” once again.



2 comments:

Steven Molin said...

Hi Toni! Attached please find a zip file with a hug, a bottle of wine, and a stuffed llama. I hope it helps you through this tough time, and do know that you are helping others through it as well.

Toni at Woodhaven said...

Steve, you just made me smile so big!!! Thank you! You know me well.