Thursday, August 4, 2022

Party like it’s 2019!

In less than 24 hours, I will be at my beloved Clark County Fair for the first time since 2019!  I should be coming out of my skin with excitement – and there is indeed part of me that is bouncing with anticipation.  But oddly, I’m sort of numb. Or at least I was. Now that I’m starting to write about it, I’m getting pretty jazzed!

My best guess is that after two years of my most favorite time of year being hijacked by a stupid virus, I am having a hard time believing that it won’t happen yet again. But all indications are that Summer’s Best Party really, truly, officially, FINALLY starts tomorrow morning!

Rob and I went to the Fairgrounds yesterday to get the lowdown on some volunteering we will be doing throughout the Fair (hello, foreshadowing!). Rides were being assembled, entries were being submitted, trucks were motoring around getting exhibits set up. It was both exciting and surreal.  

We could smell fresh paint as I marveled at how the wooden tables in the Food Court (soon to be my home-away-from-home) looked so new and spiffy with fresh latex coating.  The Fairgrounds were sporting fresh flowers and new banners and bright guidelines yellow-brick-roading to the various entry gates. It felt like all that buzzy activity right before important houseguests arrive.  FAIR!!

In years past, I have blogged about each day’s Fair activities. I have written deep into the wee hours, posting photos, and making y’all shake your collective head at my full embrace of Fair Food Gluttony. It is always a BLAST!!  And always utterly exhausting.

I am two years older (although it feels twice that) since I last Faired with abandon. And two years out of practice. And already sort of generally tired because that’s the Universal State of Being for the entire planet at the moment. 

So… I am not sure what the next ten days will look like in terms of my Full Fair Experience blogging and photographing and eating. I absolutely intend to do all three. But I am giving myself permission to go at a saner pace.  I want to be present at my beloved Fair and soak in every long-awaited sight and smell. I want to eat weird and wonderful stuff, but I want to honor my GI track and a recent 20-lb weight loss.  I want wake up each morning with anticipation instead of an energy-summoning pep talk. I want to share my Fair with you, but I also want to sleep.

Rest assured, I will be writing about All Things Fair in this space for the next couple of weeks.  It just won’t be daily.  At least I don’t think so.  And the food pix might be collages instead of a full Fair Food Feast Parade.  The food collages were fun to do for the Orange County Fair, plus one photo loads a whole lot faster than eight when you live in the boonies with sputtering internet. That alone will get me an extra hour of sleep!

I plan to post daily photos along the way on my public Instagram account.  I am going to try to contain myself to only a smattering of photos each day, but no promises. Because FAIR!!  You can find me @its_the_fair

Although I have Faired a bit already this year (yay, California!), the Clark County Fair holds a special place in my heart and stomach. I may have had some fairing appetizers, but the main course is about to be served tomorrow.  For real!!!   WHOO HOO!

FAIR!! FAIR!! FAIR!!



2 comments:

smolin said...

We are with you for the journey (in spirit at least) no matter what form it take

Toni at Woodhaven said...

Thank you SO much for your support, Steve! Trying to find a better balance this year. :-)