Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gearing Up for The Fair

It's August aka THE BEST MONTH OF THE YEAR!!! Why? The Fair! The Fair! The Fair!

My beloved county fair starts tomorrow. !!! !!! I've been very busy all week getting ready. Today I need to pay bills and mail some birthday cards to clear my desk for the next ten days. Then I plan to reread my blogs from last year to write up a cheat sheet of favorite food discoveries and vendors to avoid. I might laminate it.

Yesterday I very ceremoniously opened a special drawer in my dresser. As an indication of my Fair fanaticism -- and my hobby of donating old clothes to Goodwill -- I have a drawer dedicated to my Clark County Fair gear. I hadn't looked in it for a year. I swear I heard angels sing when I pulled it open.


Thanks to a printing vendor who will put the Fair's logo on just about anything you bring to them, I am stocked up on Fair swag. I have three logoed t-shirts, plus two I made myself through Cafe Press. The self-made shirt features stains of my favorite Fair Foods. It serves as a check list.


I have two hoodies -- a pink one and a black one -- for cool nights and mornings. I have a black cinch sack with bright pink lettering to carry my suntan lotion and my inflatable cushion that saves my back in the Grandstands. To top it all off, I have a baseball hat that has been featured in my Fair Feasting photos for years. It has a "T" written inside to quickly distinguish it from Rob's.

Our kitchen table has become a staging area for the rest of my Fair Prep. Our tickets and parking passes are there, along with my camera, extra battery, and pedometer. I need to add the two big refillable bottles of water I bought yesterday at Albertsons for $1 each. I expect the same bottles to be selling for at least three times as much at The Fair. I also have a large stash of Tums at the ready.

I newly experienced acid reflux a handful of times this past year (aging sucks sometimes) so I am a tiny bit nervous what the next ten days of fat, grease, sugar, and unnatural foodstuffs might bring. Rob suggested a proactive round of Prilosec. I'm not ready to go there yet. I really hope this isn't foreshadowing.

One last bit of news: I will be blogging again for both the local newspaper and here on Woodhaven Ramblings. Yay!! Much like last year, I am trusting I will figure things out as I go along. So I don't know how much the two blogs will differ or if they will largely be the same. I do know I need to figure out a different approach since last year I was utterly exhausted by repetitive nights of not crawling into bed until after 2:00am. I have a few ideas so we'll see how it goes. If you want to follow along, you can find the newspaper coverage here.

Did I mention ONE MORE DAY?? WHOO HOO!!!

3 comments:

Carol in Salmon Creek said...

Whoo hooo - bring on the fair!

Though sadly, I won't be attending this year (and my tummy is thanking me already...LOL) This will be only the second time in my 49 years that I've missed the Clark County Fair - so I'll just have to make up for it in 2014!!

Have fun and I'll live vicariously through your regular blog & newspaper blog too...

Toni at Woodhaven said...

Great to hear from you, Carol! I'm so sad you won't be at The Fair this year. I'm sure it's for an important reason. I will do my best to help you feel like you are virtually there. :-)

smolin said...

Have a great time! I admire your dedication to the cause, and I look forward to vicariously enjoying all the great food.