Thursday, August 25, 2022

Holy Hedgehog

I was doing a little online shopping last week, having decided the well-worn brown paper napkins from Wendy’s had outlived their secondary purpose of being coasters in my car’s cupholders.

Determined to find something fun and decorative and not simply functional, I eventually found my way to a manufacturer based in Ohio. The family-run and employee-owned company offered close to a bazillion car coaster designs to choose from. Like a LOT. Like how did we ever manage to shop without the internet way back in the 1900s?

I scrolled and re-scrolled, I added coasters to my cart and then deleted them, I used their Search function to determine that the NFL had not awarded them licensing rights.

Along the way, I kept seeing this adorable little wooden hedgehog. Billed as a “Rear-View Mirror Car Charm,” it seemed a bit too large and dangly for my rearview mirror. But my eyes were repeatedly drawn to its soothing green color and adorable pink flowers tucked behind an ear.

Inscribed on the hedgehog’s body was a Bible verse – Psalm 139:14 which says “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” I am familiar with the verse and have heard it quoted often, but it’s not one that particularly resonates with me. Instead, I tend to camp out on Romans 5: 3-4 which says “…but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” Not only is that verse comforting and centering, it also correctly uses semicolons which is simply divine in and of itself. But sadly, it's probably too long for a hedgehog.

I eventually added the wooden spiny mammal to my cart so as not to be distracted by it anymore, fully intending to delete it before checkout. Which I did. And then, for reasons I could not understand, I added it back in. It was perplexingly clear to me that I needed to buy this hedgehog. I mean, it WAS cute and it WAS my favorite color. But it did not seem nearly as essential and life-giving as the sand dollar car coasters I was purchasing along with it. With a shrug of my shoulders, I clicked “Purchase” and awaited my package from Ohio.

Two days ago, the sand dollars and hedgehog arrived at Woodhaven. I immediately pressed the coasters into service, but I stared at the cute little hedgehog on a short silver chain with bewilderment. I knew I was supposed to have it but I had no idea what I was supposed to do with it. Deciding it was to be some sort of daily motivation, I set the hedgehog near my bathroom mirror even though it weirdly felt very temporary.

Last night a friend called. She has been in a hurricane of life events, with so much emotion and exhaustion and confusion and heartache. I listened intently and asked questions and tried to provide perspective or insight where I could.

As her emotions settled and her voice steadied, my friend said, “You know, I keep having to remind myself of one of my favorite Bible verses I learned as a little kid. The one that says ‘I am fearfully and wonderfully made.’ That always helps if I can stay focused on it.” At least that’s what I think she said after she quoted my hedgehog. I was too busy having my heart sing and my mind blown.

A couple of hours later, without a lot of warning, I knocked on my friend’s door. I told her I had purchased something with absolutely no clue why…until she told me. I then reached in my pocket, pulled out the hedgehog, and told her, “You are supposed to have this. Right now.”

Confusion became a smile which became tears as she read the inscription and said, “I have goosebumps.”

I have long had “my little voice.” A quiet but confident voice that enters my thoughts with intention and direction. At times I have called it intuition, other times “My Spirit Guide.” These days I call it the Holy Spirit. Whatever its moniker, it has never steered me wrong. It always has purpose and it is always good. The trick is to hear it and obey it, even when I have no explanation for the actions I am taking. Even – and especially – when it involves a hedgehog.

 

Photo from my friend this morning, with the
Holy Hedgehog exactly where it is supposed to be

 

 

1 comment:

Kari said...

All I can say is "WOW" with a big smile on my face.