Monday, August 15, 2022

We Faired Well!

WOW! What a blast of a week and a half! The Fair’s theme this year was “Worth the Wait!” and I kinda think it was!

I would have much preferred not to have had to wait at all. Stupid virus. But despite a two-year hiatus and a whole mess of unpredictability since 2019's edition, My Beloved Fair came back and came back strong. Hallelujah, amen, and THANK YOU, Fine Fair Folks!

The final day at the Fair was so much better than the crazy whackadoodle day before. Lots of stories were being told around the Fairgrounds about traffic that had backed up on the highway, hours-long waits to get into the Fair, parking lots being pressed into service in places never used before (behind the Amphitheater?!), attendance being over twice what is typical for one of the busiest days of the Fair, supplies running out, records being broken, etc. etc. Everyone I talked to agreed that Saturday was by far the busiest, most crowded day they had ever seen at the Clark County Fair. And many shared it was kind of scary. Thank God nothing serious happened, because things can get really weird really fast when you get too people smushed together. Yay for not being really weird, Clark County!

Rob and I had a great last day. The pace was slow, the conversations long, the crowd just the right size. We were ecstatic to run into a super favorite trio of sisters and loved catching up a bit in the shaded breeze of our favorite grove of fir trees. We attended both hypnosis shows, we caught two kids’ shows, we watched a few parts of the day-long tryouts for next year’s Fair Court, we finally went into the Horse Barns, and we ate our final fat-sugar-and-grease laden treats before returning to Real Food today. It was perfect.

MUCH better crowd size!


Final Fair Food Feast Collage:

1. Ribs from the BBQ place next to the milkshakes.
They tasted good but 1 of the 3 ribs was gristle and
inedible. SUPER annoyed. Not going back next year.

2. Elote (Mexican corn) from the Roasted Corn stand.
It tasted fine but I decided I really don't like mayonnaise
on corn. Plus it's cheaper if I just get regular corn and
sprinkle the free Parmesan cheese and Tajin on it myself.

3. Orange Refresher from Smashers! They were completely
out of stock of everything by 6:00pm. Grateful I got there early!

4. Salt and Vinegar potato chips. My favorite! Superbowl
Sunday is a long ways away so I dug in while I could.

5. Chocolate chip cookie from the Grab n Go booth. Just
the light snack I wanted. The kid at the booth wisely suggested
I take a cookie that had been warming in the sun --
ooey gooey wonderfulness! 

6. My Final Milkshake -- Raspberry Peach blend.
Tangy and sweet with chunks of real fruit.
A perfect milkshake finale.

7. Spree! I love tart and tangy candy but don't
allow myself the splurge very often. I ate enough
Sprees to make my tongue raw.  YAY!

8. Footlong hand-dipped corn dog from the
hand-dipped booth. It was a little more than I 
wanted to eat, but the batter was great and the
dog was a Nathan's hot dog (actually a dog-and-
a-half, which eventually explained why squishing
the corn dog from the bottom wasn't moving it up
my stick). Really tasty! But I'm glad I had it with 3
hours left of Fairing to give it time to settle.

We stayed at the Fairgrounds way past closing, in order to pick up 4-H entries for friends who are in the midst of transferring their first child to college. We ended up chatting with a few more friends while listening to the sounds of the Exhibit Hall being broken down. One of the oddest was the sound of big rolls of plastic wrap being unrolled around display cases to keep them intact and clean until next year.

As we left the Fairgrounds for the final time, past disassembled booths and forklifts and “How’d your Fair go?” conversations, I felt emotions welling. The ten days of My Beloved Fair sort of feel like a really compacted 4 years of high school. All the activities, all the drama, all the fun, all the unpredictability, all the familiarity, all the shared experiences, all the friendships. And then the last day, you graduate. All the good-byes, all the packing, all the endings, all the memories. Everyone scatters and moves on to their next chapter, with hopes of reunions to come.

To my surprise, I did not cry. I always burst into tears on the last night of My Fair, somewhere between the Llama Greenway and our garage. The tears are always a blend of sadness and relief. I am always deeply mopey that the ridiculous amount of fun has come to an end, and always utterly exhausted and ready to resume Real Life with Real Food and bedtimes that happen before the sprinklers turn on.

But this year was different. I Faired slower, saner, wiser, and with more sleep. I didn’t blow through every ounce of reserved energy day after day. I didn’t drag myself into our increasingly dusty car each day with a peptalk of “you’ll be fine once you get some food.” And so while I was very sad and wistful last night – and the farewell absolutely felt deeply bittersweet – I was at peace.

Almost-full moon between the 
Slingshot poles.


Thank you, Fine Fair Folks!

I was a little worried the couple of weeks and days before my Fair started. There seemed to be a late and great need for employees, vendors, competition entries, and volunteers. I wasn’t sure how much of my Fair survived the two-year hiatus. I was scared it wasn’t going to be the Fair I love so deeply.

Never mind! I gratefully got my Fair. 

It had everything I wanted. It had animals, it had food, it had 4-H entries, it had concerts, it had dirt arena entertainment, it had Dock Dogs, it had milkshakes and homemade pie and Smashers, it had friends.

Yes, it was a little different. 

There were not nearly as many 4-H participants as in prior years. The consensus seems that many kids were not convinced there was going to be a Fair and understandably did not want to put so much work into an animal or other heartfelt, intensive project only to have no place to share it. Can't say I blame them.

There were also not as many canning, art, or photography entries. I asked some prolific canning friends why they didn’t enter anything this year. “Laziness,” they both shrugged. I get it. The past two years have been exhausting.

Definitely a lot fewer entries...but at least 5
times as many as I saw at the Orange County Fair,
So I am not ready to declare canning a dead art!

There were some bumps along the way…all through the Fair. SO many new people in new positions of responsibility. I lost count how many times I heard someone with a microphone explain by way of apology that this was their first year doing the job they were doing. So not everything ran smoothly, but what has the past two and half years? Like so much in life, the pandemic seemed to offer my beloved Fair a chance to push the reset button on a few things. Some things worked, some things didn’t. Lots of learning, though!

 

Some Changes I Loved:

Adam the Great as an emcee – It was wonderful having a pro introduce concerts and kick off events around the Fairgrounds. He had energy and knew how to speak confidently to a large crowd. Gold star to Adam!


The Beacock Music Jazz Band – As far as I can tell, this local band only played on the Columbian Stage once but WOW!  They need to be a regular feature at the Fair!  They were mostly white-haired musicians who played Big Band music as well as popular songs from the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s. They were fantastic and they were having a blast, which made it even more fun. I am now following them on Facebook with hopes to see other performances throughout the year.


Hummus and Grab n Go stands – It was great having some healthier, un-fried options and quick snacks to grab. Yes, I know I seem to be all about the Fried Fair Food, but my tummy needed a break now and then. I am now a huge fan of Amilkar Hummus! Talking with some friends, a booth offering gluten-free and/or vegan options would also be appreciated since those poor folks have no idea what to eat at the Fair and typically bring their own provisions. That doesn't sound fun at all.

Cilantro Jalapeno hummus.  MMMMM!
I have a tub of it (and two other flavors)
in our fridge right now.

Strolling entertainment – Although there is always someone entertaining wandering around the Fairgrounds, this year there were more of them and more often. Erik Haines One-Man-Band was fantastic – lots of smiles as he went by. Paul Issak the Juggler was a hoot with how he interacted with the fairgoers he passed. Rob and I spent about a half-hour one day just watching Paul juggle up and down the Midway telling people they were doing a great job or confirming that they should keep walking the direction they were heading. The added strollers brought more energy and excitement and a sense of unpredictability to the Fair. Sort of like when Costco has lots of free samples scattered around.


Sasquatch – The new Grandstands sponsor brought a mascot and he was a surprisingly great addition!  I never really thought much about mascots, but it turns out they add fun and photo ops. I felt really bad for the person inside the suit on the really hot days, though. Sweaty Squatchy.


Hawaiian shave ice truck – I was panicked that my two snow cone huts disappeared. As I am sure were the bees that loved to swarm them. In their place was a new Hawaiian Shave Ice food truck that had some great flavors (although Lime would be a wonderful addition…), friendly people, fluffy ice, and no bees. I would love for them to come back!

Spiffed up tables and benches – Yay for fresh paint! And on the first day, a touch too fresh but Rob was going to use those shorts for yardwork anyway. But the tables looked new and pretty and like someone cared.

Fans in the Horse Arena – Oh, bless you, Fine Fair Folks! Those big fans made a HUGE difference! No more sweltering in the Horse Arena!

Numbered sections in the Grandstands – Such a simple addition but such a big improvement. It was tons easier to tell friends where to find us. However, did anyone measure the width of the average Southwest Washington fairgoer? Those seat numbers are a bit too close…

LOVE section 109!

More stuff happening on the west end – The Parrot Pirate, the Butterflies, and the new Hawaiian Poke Truck all did a good job bringing more people to the west end of the Fair. It was still quieter than other parts of the Fairgrounds, but that was a relief at times.

Volunteering in the Gazebo – OMG! SO FUN!! Rob and I had such a blast talking to kids and parents, explaining the Passport to Fun game, and being the unofficial Information Booth. The only questions we couldn’t answer were the 3-4 that we got about the American Red Cross. We desperately hope we get asked to volunteer again and again and again! If we do, I will have a better breakfast plan in place.


 

SO Grateful These Didn’t Change

Harbor Patrol Jazz Band – This old-timey Dixieland band is made up of some pretty senior guys. Truth be told, I was rather concerned some of them might not have survived the past two years. SO relieved and grateful they were all back and playing without missing a beat.


Jerry Harris – Not only do I love his hypnosis shows, Jerry also gave me the confidence to seek out hypnotherapy to address my chronic back pain and some anxiety issues. I will forever be grateful for that. Plus I never get tired of average Fairgoers dancing around the stage thinking they are Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Clark PUD water – They are THE booth to go to for the tastiest, coldest, free-est water on the Fairgrounds. We often refill our bottles at the water fountains in the Big Air Conditioned building, but the water this year tasted highly chlorinated so we braved the crowds in front of the PUD booth instead. Their water was worth the wait.

Teenagers to keep things clean – Despite the pleas for applicants, there appeared to be enough orange-shirted kids to keep the tables, grounds, and bathrooms clean. They did a great job. Thank you, hardworking teenagers!

Marilyn with her crazy hats – She’s a Fair employee charged with moving things around and keeping things maintained. She always has a smile and a crazy hat. Except that one really misguided year when she was told she was not allowed to wear her fun hats. Frowns all around. Please never let that happen again, Fine Fair People!


Opening Day Parade – A quaint, short, old-timey tradition that started just a year or two before Covid hit. I can’t remember why they started it but I’m so relieved the Fine Fair Folks have continued it!  I usually have more fun being in parades than watching them, but my Fair's Opening Day Parade is one of my most favorite to watch!


 

So Bummed These Were Missing

Boiled corn – Yes, roasted corn is fun with the floppy husk and all, but sometimes a boiled ear on a stick that requires less maintenance and less commitment is just better. I like options!

More commercial vendors – Very happy I was still able to get my sticky ring cleaned on the last day, but I missed having more vendors to say “No, thanks!” to. I suspect there will be more to wave off next year, as we all figure out that life really is coming back.

Not as many benches in the shade – Shade is gold on a hot day at the Fair. I wonder if the bench-puter-outers think about where the afternoon shade is when they place benches around the Fairgrounds? I’m thinking not. There were some really nice benches that went unused for hours each day because they were basically metal grills.

Schedules for 4-H events – I missed knowing when various 4-H competitions were happening. Past years had a printed schedule for 4-H fun. But those schedules were seemingly only suggestions, as we often arrived for an event that had either happened early or was being rescheduled.  So I understand that a reliable 4-H schedule would be tricky to produce…unless keeping to one was made a priority. Hint hint hint.

Baby animals – SO sad there were no piglets this year! Or newborn calves or bunnies. Probably not entirely under the control of the Fair. Very happy I got to see some baby animals at the Orange County Fair a few weeks ago.

Still no swag – No t-shirts, no pins, no stickers, no hats. No fun. I mean, if you didn’t put the year on the swag, you could roll any leftover inventory to the next year.  Pleeeeease??  I’ll even help sell them in the Gazebo next year!

Still missing my favorite Pad Thai – Since I’m whining, I’ll put in a plug for my long-gone favorite Pad Thai vendor that used to be just outside the Food Court. I was reminiscing about them when I wore my self-made fair-food-stain t-shirt last week which featured a Pad Thai sauce stain. Pad Thai and Demolition Derby is a Fair Combo of international proportions.


So now the recovery and detox begin.

I have already resumed my daily fruit smoothie (side note: one day in the Gazebo I wore my strawberry milkshake earrings. In order to get a passport stamp, the kids had to tell me what my earrings were. An intentionally easy question. Except there are apparently a number of health-conscious households in Clark County because I lost track of how many little people confidently informed me my milkshakes were actually smoothies. Gotta admit, I did not see that coming!).

I am looking forward to real dinners with a glass of wine and some Yacht Rock. I am looking forward to giving myself a manicure while celebrating the one fingernail that didn’t break. I am looking forward to wearing light colors and sandals. I am looking forward to remembering what color our car is. I am looking forward to catching up on a lot of reading while making sure my patio lounge chair feels appreciated. I am looking forward to finding our kitchen table again.


I am looking forward to all of that because I faired exceptionally well the past 10 days. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I repeatedly got more than 4 hours of sleep. I wrote when I wanted to, not when I felt obligated to. I ate what sounded good even if it was a lot of healthy hummus. I attended my Fair instead of attacking it with every drop of energy. I was a part of my Fair by volunteering and doing what I could to help families have a great time with happy memories. I am tired but I am not depleted.

As the sun was setting last night, I asked Rob to stop with me on a small hill near the Grandstands. I stood there and listened to My Fair. 

I listened to the hum of distant conversations. I listened to laughter. I listened to sugar-infused kids excitedly proclaiming what they wanted to do next. I listened to a nearby popcorn machine spitting out more snacks. I listened to cows mooing. I listened to a Monster Truck giving people loud-enginey rides on the dirt track in the Grandstands. I listened to a 4-H leader give instructions about filling out some end-of-Fair paperwork.

As I listened, I remembered coming to the Fairgrounds in August 2020. They were weedy and empty and heartbreakingly quiet. I remembered wondering when I would get to attend my Fair again. I remembered wondering if it would ever be the same again.

Standing on that small hill last night, listening to My Fair, my heart and spirit full, I realized it was absolutely worth the wait.


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wonderful. Very entertaining reading and I’m so thrilled that you enjoyed yourself thoroughly and didn’t overdo. You have a new way of doing the fair! This is Janet Kinser