Friday, August 23, 2024

Ode to PDX…and its unofficial mascots

I’m pretty sure the first time I ever flew through Portland International Airport (known as PDX) was the Summer of 1990. My mom’s side of the family was having a reunion on the Oregon Coast to celebrate my grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary.

I remember parts of the trip VERY well, as it was when I introduced my new boyfriend to the family as my fiancé. As the room erupted in stunned and excited congratulations, my grandma exclaimed, “Well, TONI!” followed by a hopeful, “Your kids are going to have GREAT hair!” With dark, thick waves in common, she was probably right.

Fresh from shocking my extended family.
They didn't even know Rob and I were dating.
We continued to shock them when there were
no other announcements in the following months.
When you know, why wait?? 

Eleven years later, PDX was my first airport destination after 9/11 as Rob and I flew north to visit friends. The short flight from Oakland was edgily long, as I tried not to stare at the cockpit door. I instead focused on the new Fallish sweater I was wearing, excited that the Pacific Northwest promised cooler, crisper, moister October weather compared to the endless summer temps of the San Francisco Bay Area. It was that trip when I first started to fall in love with the PNW and gave myself permission to imagine moving there some day.

Some day ended up coming very quickly. Our official "We Busted Out of California" date – as sworn to the IRS – was June 1, 2004. One of the key factors in choosing Woodhaven as our new home was its proximity to PDX. With hopes for an early retirement doused with travel, Rob and I deemed 1 hour from a major international airport the most we would consider. Woodhaven checked that box – and many others – so PDX was officially our new Home Airport.

As Rob and I made good on our promise to travel a fair bit, I grew to love coming home to the Portland Airport. The open, airy concourses with tall, peaked ceilings; the quirky shops and restaurants that by requirement reflected local businesses; and of course, the carpet.

There was something about that dark teal industrial flooring speckled with purple, red, and navy dots that just breathed “HOME!” every time it greeted me after disembarking. Imagine my surprise, delight, and relief when I discovered in 2014 that there was a whole tribe of us PDX Carpet Superfans. It would have remained an unknown shared obsession if the PDX Powers That Be hadn’t decided it was time to replace and update the secretly iconic carpeting. A benign announcement set off a storm of cries and pleadings and banding together in weirdness that pretty much defines Portland. As a sign of love, honor, and solidarity, the PDX Carpet Foot Selfie soon became A Thing. I participated with wild enthusiasm. As I do.

Traditional Foot Selfie
circa 2015

This family portrait is proudly framed in 
our guest bedroom

My dear friend Joyce Anne came to visit all
the way from Virginia. We both have bad backs
so we thought this was a most appropriate pose.

Soon the carpet’s untrademarked design was splashed all over hats and mugs and socks and cat collars and luggage tags and earrings and coasters and water bottles and (eventually) pandemic face masks (I’m just naming the PDX carpet swag I have). And serviceable segments of the old carpet were culled and put up for sale, in large swaths as well as bound as doormats or squared off for wall art. Yes, of course I did! Duh!

Doormat in use heading to our back patio.
Second, never-to-be-used doormat in closet.


Hanging in our powderless powder room.

Array of available swag for purchase at the airport
aka Toni's Wish List

With all of this PDX excitement and adoration as a backdrop, you might sense my utter coming-out-of-my-skin THRILL when this happened in April 2022.

Yep, I already had the mask! Ok, fine
I had a few carpet-themed ones to
choose from.

While the world was getting swooped up in Portland Airport Carpet Mania, the intended PDX story got lost in the unexpected flooring hype. Off to the side, largely unnoticed or commented on, a new concourse was being built. Like, brand new and from scratch. Big and gleaming. With lots of windows.

Yeah, the carpet hubbub had been super distracting.

I don’t know exactly how it happened that my llama friends got invited to help celebrate the opening of Concourse D. I just know that Llama Mama Shannon – well aware of my PDX obsession – understood our friendship might be on the line if I wasn't at least offered the chance to join in the Llama/PDX collab. Two of my most favorite worlds were colliding!! IT WAS A BLAST!! And the beginning of what is becoming a super fun relationship between my favorite llamas and my favorite airport.

Just strolling through the ticketing 
area with an alpaca...


Some of the most excited folks
are flight attendants. It might have
something to do with their stressful jobs.

EPIC!

During the Christmas holidays last year, as a way to bring lightness and fun and cheer to weary travelers, the llamas were invited back to PDX to mingle and jingle. They were a huge hit. I mean, like with travelers and gate agents and TSA folks and pilots and flight attendants and restaurant workers and construction crews (because even bigger stuff was in the midst of being built).

Rob has one llama t-shirt.
I have a week's worth of Christmas
llama sweaters.

The smiles and laughter and double takes were addicting. Passengers whose flights were delayed suddenly didn’t care. A crowd who had been diverted due to weather was now grateful for the rerouting. Toddlers who were tired and cranky suddenly had smiles and new attitudes. Visitors new to Portland got the fastest initiation imaginable to the quirky vibe of The Rose City. A woman on her way to see her dying father for the last time expressed quiet gratitude through tears for the fluffy, therapeutic hug. Being able to be a part of those moments that shifted mood and attitude was amazing and humbling. These animals are incredible.

Strolling through the retail area
post-security

I love this photo of Kristy and Lori
helping folks enjoy the llamas!


Another excited flight attendant!

Somewhere in the midst of this, the story and photos and videos went viral. “Therapy llamas at PDX” headlined newspapers and television “feel good” stories all over the world. Yes, world. The Llama Mamas were interviewed (in the wee hours our time) on BBC. A story popped up in a Ukraine newspaper as well as some in Europe and Asia. Glimpses of Rob and me were spotted in the Washington Post, the New York Times, and numerous television newscasts who picked up the fun, colorful, merry story of llamas and alpacas struttin’ through an airport. And then there was social media.

Yeah. Trust me when I say, lots of people learned about the Portland Airport and its unique greeters last December.

Since the wildly popular Christmas appearances, Rob and I have been thrilled to join Lori and Shannon on more visits to PDX. We have a blast casually walking into the terminal from the parking area, waving to stunned drivers in the Departures lanes. We wish we could go slower through the revolving doors so folks had more time to get their cell phones into Video mode, because nobody would believe it without seeing it. We totally snap folks out of their rushed “I’m Traveling” mindset as we meander our way toward Security. We are greeted with uninhibited smiles from TSA Agents as we show our badges to pass through the “Employee” line, with queued travelers hoping the line moves fast enough for them to catch up with us. We take our time on the concourses as bewildered passengers hug and feed and take photos with our fluffy and calming buddies, bringing a peace and distraction the travelers didn’t realize they needed.

This is truly the BEST volunteer gig I never imagined existed.

(Click here to watch the llamas navigate a revolving door like the pros they are!)

Going through security. It was a bit
hectic so it was hard to get a good photo!

Past security and helping people make memories.
Also note the new carpet. Greener, more 
geometric, still means "Home!"

I love when kids walk with us!

Last week, PDX unveiled its brand-new main terminal to the world. It has been under construction for four years. It’s been noisy and confusing but also a case study in how to clearly communicate and provide signage to an ever-changing audience. The airport folks truly did an outstanding job helping travelers manage construction chaos. And it was all worth it because they have created a Pacific Northwest Welcome like no other. It is utterly astounding.

Rob and I got a sneak peek a few days before the Grand Opening, attending a “housewarming party” for folks who worked on the terminal. We arrived with two llamas and stood in awe of what supposedly is an airport terminal but is more like an indoor forest of calm and welcoming.

The ceiling is waves of wood. There are huge windows allowing a flood of natural light. There are live trees – tall ones! – planted in little groves. There are stairs inviting you to sit and pause. There’s a large bar upstairs, allowing great views of either the terminal or the airfield. There’s a large sitting area decorated with a fresh run of the Vintage Carpet, a proper ode to what birthed the community of PDX Superfans. The entire space invites you to breathe. To take a moment. To regroup and recharge. In an airport.

(Click here for a video I took during the sneak peek party. I was near a speaker so I changed the music to something less thumpy.)

All of the materials -- including the wood
for the ceiling -- were locally sourced.
Area to chill and reflect on the 1980s
when the original carpet was designed.

Lots of great media coverage celebrating the 
Grand Opening! The llamas are totally unphased
by being in the spotlight. I do my best to hide
behind them.

There’s a very cool Midwest/PNW/Soulfood restaurant in the new terminal pre-security (think fried chicken with a kale salad). I have every intention of suggesting it for dinner soon despite not having a flight for another month. Yes, I want to go the airport just to hang out. We will need to allow for lots of time to check out the new shops, and maybe have a pre-dinner glass of wine while listening to the live music from the grand piano. 

Or, maybe we will get to join Lori soon. Maybe we will wander the airport with some llamas, inviting snuggles and carrot kisses and photos and bringing some levity and deep breaths to travelers and the folks that support them. Because that’s how PDX rolls.


U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley from Oregon
We don't have proof, but I am here
to tell you he totally did the carrot kiss!

(Senator Merkley was not part of the festivities.
He happened to have just arrived in Oregon
and was off to a meeting of some sort when
he saw the llamas. He and his group were pretty
excited to meet them!)

 

No comments: