Monday, August 12, 2024

YAYS and Nays of FAIR 2024

One of the things I love about being a Superfan of my beloved Clark County Fair is that I’m pretty tuned into changes. Like a vendor, I am on the Fairgrounds (almost) every day during the Fair. Unlike a vendor, I get to walk around and explore and notice stuff.

Rob and I love taking a tour on the first Fair Day, pointing out what is new, what is gone, what has changed. And if you have been following along with me for at least one blog post, you know I am very likely to have opinions. About all of it. Because I LOVE my Fair and I want the very best for it.

So with that, here’s some stuff I noticed about this year’s Fair.

THUMBS UP!

  • Brand new this year – the Fair had an app! I downloaded it a couple days before the Fair and used it all 10 days. For a debut, it was pretty great! It was easy navigate, had pertinent info about operating hours and fees, it listed all the Grandstand events with links to more info. It even had a section for food with basic info about each vendor. I didn’t consult that section much, though, as I am pretty familiar with the food fare and actually serve as a Personal Fair Food Consultant to anyone who knows my cell number or runs into me on the Fairgrounds.

    The one BIG miss on the app was the schedule of events (the map could use some help, too – any chance the PDF one on the website can also be uploaded?). While the app did a pretty good job listing the various performances by magicians and jugglers and hypnotists, there were scant few listings for any of the animal-related events. While I understand that 4-H schedules are suggestions at best, it would be very helpful to take a best guess, put it on the schedule, and maybe note “time subject to change.”

    People need to know about the Chicken Dress-Up Contest and the Cat Agility Competition and the Llama Obstacle event! While they are largely for the 4-H kids, these competitions are enormously fun for spectators, too!

    I was also stunned the Junior Livestock Auction wasn’t listed on the app's schedule. Although the people serious about bidding already know when the auction is, you never know what innocent bystander might eventually get herself a paddle and start waving it around with a blank check burning a hole in her mustard-stained pocket. 

    Again, a HUGE YAY for the inaugural run of the app! Just needs a few tweaks.

    I love the simple, homey
    graphics and vibe.

  • As noted in earlier blogs, I LOVED the changes in the Canning Department and the Small Animal Barn! Both areas had new energy, life, color, and engagement.  The Pig Pens were more lively, too.

  • The new plastic benches are SO MUCH better than the rickety wooden yellow ones. They curve in a way that allows my back to take a rest, too. THANK YOU! I did notice some black metal-ish benches here and there. I sat on them a couple of times. Still better than the yellow ones, but they were oddly too deep and had no ergonomics so I never lingered long.

  • Although I never used them, I saw lots of people enjoying the new tables and chairs in the corner near the west entrance of the Big Air Conditioned Building. My only suggestion is maybe lower umbrellas? The tall ones attached to the tables didn’t seem to provide as much shade as I’m sure was hoped or needed.
    Only photo I could find with a table
    and tall umbrella in the background.
    Elvis was a hoot.

  • Although the Fair hasn't had a petting zoo in a number of years, this year while working in the Gazebo, I LOVED offering disappointed parents a much better alternative. Instead of gathering a bunch of animals in one location for manufactured interactions, I loved encouraging parents to go to the various animal bars instead. Most barns had a 4-H kid with their project, just waiting to answer questions, learn how to talk to the public, and offer the chance to pet their chicken, guinea pig, cat, or llama. Much more interactive, organic, and memorable. YAY NO PETTING ZOO!
My mom petting a pig. In a pen, because
petting zoos are not nearly as much fun.

  • Fantastic history exhibit! Please keep it as a permanent exhibit and add to it as mementos are discovered!

  • Related to that, THANK YOU FOR THE FANS! Oh my gosh, those big fans scattered around the barns were wonderful! They allowed us to actually linger in the Grange Barn to enjoy the history exhibit instead of just trotting through on our way to Smashers as we used to do. Despite high temps throughout most of this year’s Fair, I didn’t swelter in the barn and horse arena like I used to.

Oooh, that fan and that Smasher were
HEAVEN!


THUMBS DOWN!

  • As noted in Day 7's blog, I desperately hope to see my favorite hypnotist come back next year. Yes, some of Jerry’s show could use some modernizing (song choices, movie references, do kids even know Urkel or Miss Piggy anymore??). But Jerry's years of experience were painfully apparent this year as I endured several performances by the new, greener hypnotist.

  • Seat saving in the Grandstands. I ranted on Day 9, so all I will say here is PLEASE Fine Fair Folks in Charge – please, post signs and announce that saving seats and walking away is not allowed. You must be present to save a seat!

  • I loved seeing the corn and Elvis riding around on a unicycle, and occasionally saw Adam the Great and Professor Smart working the midway. But all of these performers also had multiple stage shows each day, so their strolling time was limited. I so missed seeing Mango and Dango and the One Man Band roaming around. Strolling performers bring life and engagement and make the Fair even more fun when you just think you are traveling from Point A to Point B.

  • Still no swag. Still majorly bummed. Now trying to figure out how to make my own. Sigh.

 

Again, I am just trying to help my beloved Fair continue to be the epic, award-winning event it is. As I get to meet more people officially involved with the Fair, I appreciate more and more all the hard work, long hours, lack of sleep, and pure heart and commitment that goes into providing truly the best party I get invited to each year. THANK YOU, FINE FAIR FOLKS for everything you do to create such a community-building, family-friendly, joy-producing experience each year. I am truly honored to be a part of it in my own small, goofy, fangirl way. Love, Toni.

My So Extremely Happy Place

No comments: