Tuesday, August 6, 2024

FAIR 2024 - DAY 4!

Yep, we’re in the Fair Groove now! We have something of a morning routine, the cat has figured out we haven’t totally abandoned her, our car is filthy with parking field dust, and I have zero idea or interest in what is happening in the world beyond the Fairgrounds. YAY FAIR!!

We had a lovely day of Fairing yesterday. We got to the Fairgrounds at about noon, in time to grab lunch before the afternoon Mutton Bustin’ show. We caught a new juggler show, we admired the first wave of flowers and other plant life before they completely wilt and are replaced with new entries on Wednesday. We chatted with friends, we watched bull riding, and we said goodnight to the stalwart folks manning the Green Gate as a night breeze finally produced some goosebumps. It was a great day.

I LOVE bumping into friends while
Fairing! Especially ones who don't
mind posing for goofy photos!

Roberto IS magnificent!

The Fine Fair Folks switched up some things this year with the entertainment. I’ve been bummed not to have the strolling fun of Mango and Dango and Eric with his One Man Band. They always add energy and engagement and unpredictability to the Fair. Even if as an introvert I try to avoid making eye contact with them.

Far as I can tell, the only strolling entertainment we have this year is a guy on a unicycle dressed either as Elvis or as an ear of corn. He’s actually pretty funny! When I saw the corn riding around on Day 1, I was super excited because I remembered seeing him at the Washington State Fair a few years ago! I vividly recall groaning with much appreciation over his puns-a-plenty (he calls himself the UniCorn, for example).

I believe his name is Cornelius. He's a Kernel.

Sadly, though, I haven’t seen the UniCorn or the Elvis much. It’s because the performer also has a stage show that’s been keeping him pretty busy. We settled in to watch it yesterday and Roberto the Magnificent was SO FUN!

Roberto is a juggler with a family history in vaudeville. He’s a great showman, getting the audience invested, telling jokes, working the crowd, and keeping the pace moving. He’s also a very impressive juggler! I spent one VERY long summer around 6th grade trying to teach myself how to juggle. I can manage three beanbags for about a minute, if I’ve practiced for a while. Juggling is HARD, man!! So if all Roberto did was juggle 5 plastic clubs with a cross breeze on the stage, I would have been impressed.

But Roberto did more than that. He jumped around, he danced, he played with hammers and saws and lassos and golf clubs and pogo sticks. His personality and body shape reminded me of one of my most favorite brothers-in-law (hey, Rick!!), so I was also sort of predisposed to adore Roberto. He bounded around the stage with an adolescent energy and did poses that just made me laugh. Seriously, I just sat there with a huge smile on my face the whole show! Thank you for bringing him to my Fair, Fine Fair Folks! Roberto is indeed magnificent! And apparently, this video I took of him is going mildly viral?

Juggling hammers and a saw while
balancing on a board in a breeze.
I later found out Roberto is my age.
Some days I feel like I am aging 
pretty well. This was not one of them.

Man, do I know the right people!

I got a text just as the Mutton Bustin’ was finishing up (it was a long show, what with all the understandable second- third- and fourth-guessing going on as young kids reassessed the wisdom of riding a panicked sheep around a dirt arena). The text was from my neighbor, Karin, who simply said, “Blueberry zucchini bread is almost ready.” I replied, “Ooooh! We will trot over soon!!!” My neighbors-who-are-friends take SUCH good care of me!

Karin is Karoline’s mom – you know, the amazing pianist and dressmaker? Well, Karoline is also a fabulous baker. She is what I call “a safe bet.” I would eat anything Karoline bakes. I don’t know what her magic is, but it is delicious and reliable. And that is why, despite not liking zucchini bread AT ALL, I did not hesitate for an instant to sample Karoline’s freshly baked and still warm entry for the 4-H Baking competition. It was INCREDIBLE.

Karoline later delivered slices to various 
4-H kids and Fair employees. Her
fan base is undoubtedly exploding.

Moist, dense, lightly dusted with a sugar coat on the crust, with the fresh blueberries adding a tangy juiciness and the fun treasure hunt of finding whole ones just begging to be squished with my teeth. Karoline very generously gave me two large slices, which I assured her was too much. It was not. WOW!

I would have licked the plate if I
hadn't been in public view

Blew my mind

We spent our evening at one of my favorite places on the planet – the Grandstands. If you know us, you know where we sit – on the far side, top row of the lower level so I can have a back rest. We get to shows early to ensure this required seating. Without it, my back rebels and I have to leave. It’s sad and tragic, so we never let that happen.

ANYWAY…

We enjoyed the bull riding despite some speakers that went out and a show that went so long, the arena lights flickered on (we’re at a high enough latitude, we don’t get dark in the summer very quickly). All the bulls and horses were frisky – even a horse just there to trot around an opening flag was amped up and tried to snuggle a handler without permission. Rob counted five bull riders and one rodeo clown that got sort of trampled by bulls who really didn’t want to be there. Since nobody got hurt, it was a great show! (The paramedics were called once. They moseyed to the ring without much sense of urgency, which was odd. Perhaps if someone had promised blueberry zucchini bread?)

What totally blew my mind, though, happened at after the show was over. Rob and I were sitting in the mostly empty Grandstands, discussing dessert options and Fairing plans for Day 5. Suddenly, a young man in his mid-20s scurried under the railing behind us, popped up in front of us with a huge smile and asked, “Are you Toni and Rob??”

Not having any idea who this energetic young guy was, we nonetheless confirmed our identities and were soon hugging him with joy and memories. It was DREW!

We first Faired with Drew and his dad back in 2009. They joined us for the bull riding and it became something of an annual tradition for a few years. But life happens and although we get to see Dad with some frequency, it had been long enough since seeing Drew that we had no idea what he looked like as an adult.

We stood, we chatted, we caught up, we laughed, we hugged, we marveled. It was wonderful.

Drew came down one more time before his group left, just to say goodbye again and reinforce the desire to stay in touch. I smiled at him and said, “You know, some of my favorite memories in this place, at this event, involve you.” Drew smiled back and said, “Me, too.”

It pays BIG TIME to always sit in the same place in the Grandstands.

Drew and Dad in 2015

FAIR FOOD FEAST COLLAGE – DAY 4!


  • A Strawberry Peach Pear Smasher with Smasher Stan! I do love the blends the best!

  • Absolutely delicious Bahn Mi Combo from the booth on the south end of the Food Court! I didn't want a sandwich, so I got half bowl (rice) and half salad (lettuce), with some added jalapenos. The veggies were fresh and crisp, the sauce was tangy and kicky, and the kid's portion size was just right. I would have these weekly in real life if I could! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

  • Surprisingly good chocolate chip cookie from the salad booth next to the raclette place. Nice big hunks of quality chocolate with a vanilla-y dough. Hit the snacking spot!

  • YAY! The little white truck next to the Hawaiian Shave Ice booth has Nerd Rope this year! The little truck sells basic OTC medications, sunscreen, and CANDY! I do love candy and during the Fair, I allow myself to eat it. My Nerd Rope was gone before the Mutton Bustin' started. Oops.

  • Incredibly good blueberry zucchini bread made by my fabulously talented neighbor for the 4-H Baking Competition. I don't like zucchini bread, but I inhaled two pieces of this perfectly moist, perfectly sweet treat. I also dropped very unsubtle hints that more could be left on my front porch. OMG!

  • Today's special milkshake flavor: marionberry! A Pacific Northwest specialty that is sort of a cross between raspberry and blackberry. There were big berries in my milkshake, seeds and all. It was delicious even though it was just a tiny bit too sweet for me.

  • Roasted corn from the booth outside the Food Court. It was so fresh, the roof of my mouth is still fuzzy from getting burned. It was worth it, though -- sweet and squirty and properly salted this time.

  • Bull Riding Red Rope Licorice! I have about half left for tomorrow. Not pictured: Additional snacking on the bag of kettle corn I'm still toting around.

  • Finished the night with a "Crepa Mix" from the new crepe/churro place near the Pirate Ship. NOT recommended. The crepe was burned, the peaches were canned, and a few of the strawberries tasted like dirt so I avoided the rest. It was nice to have a banana, though. Very hesitant to try other things on their menu.

No comments: