Last night was rough. I was so tired I couldn’t sleep. In the midst of a meltdown in the very wee hours, I promised myself that I would allow myself some space tonight to actually relax and rest. So…reminiscent of my working days when I wrote lots of research reports, I give you a Bullet Point Summary of "Today at the Fair."
- I was grumpy and tired and hungry when we left the house.
Also, the painters showed up earlier than expected to spiff up Woodhaven’s exterior.
There was already banging-ladders noises and congested driveway traffic when we left. I
couldn’t imagine enjoying the rest of the day.
- The Gazebo is now in a groove. We have a routine and we are
refining our processes. It’s humming along pretty well. Hallelujah.
- It took us about 4 hours to finally complete our route to go
visit Curly the Camel and his dad, Jeff. Both were very chill and oozed calm
and welcoming. It was a lovely visit.
Just looking at his photo relaxes me. - One kid today decided that the very best prize for his completed Passport
was not a Beanie Baby or a kaleidoscope or a plastic dinosaur. Nope. The 4-year-old
was super excited to take home one of our paperweights for the daily schedule.
It was a hunk of asphalt. Rock on, little dude!
- My mood brightened considerably with a Church Lady Ham Sandwich and some
caffeine swigged while being surrounded by bubbles. The Fair was starting to work its magic.
I love these sandwiches. They are like
an afterschool snack made with love.Bubbles make everything better. - My mood turned around completely when we wandered into the
Kids Craft Tent in the middle of the Antique Machinery Exhibit. Despite my advanced age and white hair, I was kindly
allowed to make the kid craft whirligig, including visiting the blacksmith to
get it branded. The burnt wood smelled amazing. Playing with the whirligig
was weirdly calming and centering. I will be toting it the rest of the Fair. I
might sleep with it.
Who knew a hunk of wood and some
string could be so fun?! Click here
for a short video of how it works. - I got a text from our friend Terri that she was suddenly
participating in a balloon contest. It was a blast!
Especially watching another friend Stephanie and her husband compete
head-to-head. Stephanie emerged victorious. Married Couple Competitiveness
is fantastically fun to watch.

The first round. Terri won!! Stephanie and husband
had several more matches. The women rocked!
Click here for a video of Terri's domination. - We watched the Mutton Bustin’ competition and were ecstatic to
hear familiar names being announced! We thought for sure Meagan did well enough
to advance to the evening round (brother Jack slipped off his sheep pretty
quickly). Sadly, we didn’t hear her name tonight. Nevertheless, we loved cheering
for Meagan and Jack and hope they try again next year.

Meagan got up quickly, no worse for wear. - We hung out with Marketing Maven Jenny for a spell,
commiserating about the Stress of Fair, and the exhaustion of being in charge
of stuff. I have no idea how Jenny is doing all that she is doing. My beloved
Fair is damn lucky to have her. (Yep, she’s absolutely worth the grown-up word.)
- Rob and I found a moderately comfortable bench in the shade,
tucked away but with a prime view of Fairgoers walking down the Midway. We sat
there for at least a half-hour, enjoying the people-watching and the fashions.
We also curiously watched a vendor from a travel and leisure booth inside the
Big Air Conditioned Building take a smoke break in a non-smoking area while
using the Fair President’s golf cart as a drink holder. Bold move!! We were achingly disappointed that her break ended about 90 seconds before the President came
outside to motor away. THAT would have been fun to watch! Dang it!

Cowboy boot Crocs in the fashion of Toy Story.
I hope these are just Fair Wear, but I suspect
they are not.
Despite arriving on the Fairgrounds this morning in A Mood, my beloved Fair
knew just what to do to turn my determined frown upside down. It provided me
friendship and simple pleasures and laughter and good food. I am grateful. And I am ready for bed before 11:00pm so I can happily fair again tomorrow!
| I only allow myself potato chips during the Superbowl and the Fair. YAY FAIR! |
| Scrumptious sandwich from the Church Ladies Pie stand. Ham and Cheese with crunchy produce and soft sourdough bread. SO GOOD! |
| The caffeine hit so hard, I didn't actually finish this. I'm a caffeine wimp. |
| White Cheddar! Salty, cheesey, half gone already. |
| Strawberry Smasher! Decided to not blend today. Decided I like the blends better. The Strawberry by itself is just a touch too sweet for me. |
| Dip Sampler from the Greek stand. Very tasty! Hummus, tzatziki, and a garlicky feta sauce, served with warm pita bread. Recommended! |
| Peach Sundae with vanilla-chocolate swirl ice cream. First time trying this. I liked it! But I think the milkshakes are a better blend of the flavors. |

No comments:
Post a Comment