Tuesday, August 11, 2026

2026 Clark County Fair – Day 5

Sleep is a glorious thing. Never underestimate its power.

I slept over 7 hours last night, and today was much better! It was also a slower day, with lots of chatting and hanging out with friends. I had some good food, good conversations, good times. Fair Magic!

Rob had some Life Outside of the Fair that he had to take care of, so I was on my own for a couple of hours after we got the Gazebo up and running. I meandered. I sat on a quiet bench and watched the Fairgrounds wake up. I chatted with Tosha and Lauralea and Karin and Jenny about Fair and life. It was the sweet stuff that I love about my beloved Fair – the community and the time to just sit and chat.

Once Rob returned mostly victorious, we spent some time tracking down Beanie Babies. We’re going through the coveted prizes for the Passport to Fun program a little faster than expected. Anecdotal evidence (like from the kiddie ride operators) suggests that there have been more young kids enjoying the Fair this year. At least so far. Why? We have no idea. But it means that I am spending a not insignificant part of my day each day trying to procure more Beanie Babies. Livin’ the dream!

Yes, the rubber chicken earrings squeak
when you squeeze them! I entertained
curious people all day!

We spent part of the afternoon in the Grandstands watching the next round of Mutton Bustin. A couple of kids rode their sheep one-handed, as if they were riding a bucking bronco. I have never seen such confidence on a buster before! Personally, I think it’s a sign the kid has aged out of the sheepy competition.

He's about to fall off, but that arm was up the
entire ride.

While chatting with Terri and Lauralea in the Sewing & Clothing Department, I learned what a serger is. I had heard of it as a sewing tool of some sort, but I thought it was an attachment accessory for a sewing machine. Sort of like a buttonhole maker. And, I had absolutely no idea why you would want one. I just gathered that a serger is kinda pricey and coveted by serious sewers. Kind of like those enormously heavy KitchenAid Mixers for bakers.

Much to my surprise, a serger is a totally separate machine! And much to my delight, it sews AND cuts at the same time! How cool is that?!  Now I understand why sewing people speak of sergers with such reverence. It was so calming and satisfying to watch the serger surge!

Watch this short video for
a moment of serenity
.

We checked out the rodeo in the evening. The horses and bulls jumped around a lot more than usual, flinging cowboys around and making me grab Rob’s arm with panic. Fortunately, nobody got hurt beyond the usual, but it’s getting harder for me to watch these extreme sports with enjoyment. I just cringe with dread that someone is going to get seriously injured. I sound like an old lady. Not quite sure when that happened…

He looked like a flopping doll
as he rode around the arena.
If you want to cringe, click here
for a video.

As I reflect on our day at my beloved Fair, there wasn’t much to it activity-wise. Well, except for the mind-blowing discovery of The Serger. And yet, it was such a good day.

I’m oblivious to whatever might be happening in the Real World outside the Fairgrounds. I’m taking time to chat with friends without feeling like I have to rush off to complete something on my To Do List. I’m sitting on benches and watching people enjoy my Fair. I’m finally breathing a little. My body is still tired, but my spirit is perking up. Fair Magic.


 FAIR FOOD FEAST PARADE!

Peach and Cream Cheese Scone from 
the Church Ladies Pie Stand. These
go FAST. I got the last one and it was
10:15. Pretty much all the people who
work at the Fair swoop up the fresh
scones before the Fair opens. BUT
I heard they usually have a second
batch before lunchtime. SO GOOD!

Chicken Quesadilla from the Noodle
Palace. Nope, it doesn't make any
sense. But wow, it was REALLY
good! It had chicken, rice, melted
cheese, and a Fiesta Sauce that
tasted like Taco Bell. It was simple
but so fresh and tasty. Highly 
recommended!

Jaymi had this Peach Pear Smasher
waiting for me as she saw us approaching
the Smasher booth. It's good to be known.
Refreshing and not as sweet as the Strawberry.
It's Rob's favorite.

Nerd Rope from the little white trailer
that sells candy and OTC medications.
Sometimes those serve the same purpose.
LOVE the tanginess of the Nerds!

I decided to try some corn from the 
stand near the SlingShot ride. I didn't
like it as much as the corn from the stand
south of the Food Court. This one was
hot off the grill but it didn't taste grilled.
It was a little tough and not as sweet.
I'm sticking with the other corn stand.

Corn dog from the Chuck Wagon near
the Green Gate and Curly the Camel.
Really good! It was a little more dog
and a little less batter. 

Onion rings from the Chuck Wagon.
Sweet onions, crunchy batter, very
tasty. The Chuck Wagon is usually
a safe bet for good eats.

I'm drinking SO much water!
I brought some hydration packets from
home. This Cherry Pomegranate
packet from Nectar added just the
right amount of flavor to liven up
the boring water.

No comments: