Wednesday, August 12, 2026

2026 Clark County Fair – Day 6

When I woke up this morning somewhat rested and with a not-as-cranky back, I kept the celebration going by reminding myself that it was Thursday. “I can totally make it four more days!!”

Except that today was Wednesday.

Then about 20 minutes later, our painters arrived earlier than expected to finish up Woodhaven’s exterior refresh. I was not in any condition, physically or emotionally, to greet them and get the day rolling. Yeah, it was a bit of a bumpy morning.

We got to the Fairgrounds just early enough to get ourselves situated before our two teen Gazebo volunteers arrived. Sadly, the adult volunteer cancelled at the last minute, which meant either Rob or I needed to work the morning Gazebo shift the teens. We ended up taking long breaks or hanging out together in the back of the Gazebo, staring into space or at our unattended-to emails on our phones. It was a long morning but we actually had a really good time. As former Youth Group leaders, we quite enjoy other people's teenagers!

Sometimes it's nice being the grown-up
and letting the youngin's do all the work.

Zachary and Kaili didn’t know each other, but I suspect they are friends now. Both are Red Cross volunteers who go to different high schools, and neither knew much about the Fair. In a burst of inspiration, we sent the teens out on the Fairgrounds with instructions to play the Passport game. They had to explore the unfamiliar territory and find 10 stamps. We gave them a map and the same hints we give young kiddos. We expected it would take them about 20 minutes.

They indeed returned after about 20 minutes, a bit stressed with only one stamp to sheepishly show for their efforts. We gave them some more hints and off they went. They returned about 15 minutes later with much better success, but still needed one stamp.

“Go find the camel.”

By the time they finally completed the Passports, we had a good rapport going. I teased them that a pair of 6-year-olds had finished faster than they had! But…the plan had worked beautifully. Zachary and Kaili got to know the Fair, the Passport program, and each other. It was so much fun to watch! I also thoroughly enjoyed being invisible in the back of the Gazebo, eavesdropping on the chatter of two teens getting to know each other. I really hope they develop a friendship AND that they volunteer again next year.

Zachary and Kaili giving Rock Star
Karoline's Key Lime Tart 2 thumbs up.
I really didn't want to share, but I'm 
a grown-up. Dang it.

I also had a blast playing with a new toy procured for the Gazebo. Marketing Maven Jenny found some super fun “Slingshot Chickens” available for overnight Amazon delivery! However, we quickly discovered the wisdom in rebranding them as “Flying Rubber Chickens.” Turns out, as soon as you introduce the word “slingshot,” all little boys want one and all moms absolutely refuse to allow it.

You put your index finger in its head,
stretch it out by its legs, and let it fly!
Here's a short demonstration video.

I was excited to catch up with Darren and Becky on the Midway. They are the Fair’s official photographers. Becky is also Fair Royalty, with a long family history of building, sustaining, and being my beloved Fair. Like, her grandparents appear in photos in the Fair’s archives. She insists it's not a big deal, but it is!

A couple of hours later, Rob and I happened to sit with a fantastically fun view of Darren and Becky photographing the evening’s Grandstand event. We went to the Side-by-Side show just to see if we still didn’t like it. Yep, still a big yawn of fancy ATVs speeding around a dirt course. I was bored, until I noticed Darren and Becky sitting below us in a nearby section. Watching their synchronized camera dance was way more fun than watching the little vehicles they were photographing!

The event was much better when there
were two cars racing against each other.
But watching Darren and Becky was 
still the best part of the show.
Click here for the Synchronized
Camera Dance.

We have an earlier start again tomorrow. But instead of painters, we have pavers. Signs have been posted that our key route between Woodhaven and the Fairgrounds is going to be repaved starting tomorrow. We have no idea what that means for our timing, so we get to leave even earlier than we have been. Maybe I’ll finally have breakfast at the Fair??

 

FAIR FOOD FEAST PARADE!

Rice bowl from the Bahn Mi/Saucebox
booth at the southeast end of the Food
Court. SO GOOD! Rice, chicken, cucumbers,
cilantro, and that fantastic basil sauce.
I got the kids portion. It was just right.

My favorite Strawberry Cookies n Cream!
Perfect Gazebo snack.

Key Lime Tart made from scratch by
Rock Star 4-Her Karoline! Mom Karin
texted me that one was available after
judging. Blue Ribbon from all of us
in the Gazebo!

Still working on my White Cheddar
Popcorn. Got about 1/3 of the bag left.

Chicken Fajita Bowl from the Las
Masitas booth to the east of the Food Court.
I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad. It just
wasn't that interesting. Not a lot of flavor,
and the salsa didn't add much. BOO!
Who knew the best Mexican food at the
Fair would be at a yakisoba noodle stand?!
(See yesterday's Fair Food Feast Parade)

Got the "Baby Twist Cone" at the Milkshake
Barn. Just the right size not to keep me
up into the wee hours (she types hopefully).

No comments: